SMPS Book Recommendations

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could start by reading the tem commandments just posted in the Lab on the "SSL 9K ground" thread:
Thou shalt not worship switch-mode, nor have any false topologies.

-Sounds like you just got ready to cross swords with the analog-taliban!

(just kidding!)

-You looking to design or repair?

Keith

look for an older motorola handbook

Linear/Switchmode Voltage Regulator Handbook
Theory and Practice

1982 blue and white softcover

Some good basic stuff

No ISBN

there aren't a lot of *good* books out there for SMPS. do a lot of research at various IC manufacturer's websites, the appnotes usually tell you more about WHY something is done. that is more essential than a book simply telling you that you need a certain part.

There are so many different topologies that you will quickly be bogged down with terminology. You need a clear plan of what you want to accomplish first then investigate and compare each topology.

You may or may not know the following.

Generally you will end up with multiple parts of a SMPS:

Input: fuse, inductor and transient protection.

Rectification: bridge or discrete, bulk cap and possibly more inductors.

Controller: some type of PWM IC, could use feedback for duty cycle or could be simply ON all the time, depends on your needs and design. This will control a FET or group of FETs.

High frequency trafo: this is the hardest part to get and will cost the most.

Rectification: a high voltage rectifer, usually something fast and soft. more bulk/smoothing caps.

Feedback: some kind of voltage or current feedback to the controller so that it can move the duty cycle up/down to keep voltage at a specific potential.

Regulation: if you need multiple outputs it usually easier to use Vregs on the output of the SMPS than it is to have parallel circuits.

other circuits can work by pulsing an inductor/shottky array to get a similar effect but the heat created can be excessive if the output current needed is over a few 100ma. the inductor will get big and expensive otherwise.

Most SMPS use the 3842 IC for the controller. research that part and you will find TONS of info.

:thumb:

The late Abe Pressman's books are a pretty good blend of practice and theory, imo. One aspect I really appreciate is his showing the kinds of waveforms you are likely to observe in a switcher, rather than idealized graphs only. I think he even mentions which parts are likely artifacts of your probe and ground lead, and which are due to actual circuit parasitics.

EDIT: For example: ISBN 0070522367, Switching Power Supply Design, McGraw-Hill 1997.

There were some really good (DIY) discussions about SMPS at the Class-D forum at diyaudio.com

/Anders

[quote author="Dan Kennedy"]Yeah Brad,

The manufacturers stuff is more valuable than most books, because it is all changing so fast. The overviews are fine, but they all do that, but so does the annual Electronics Design issue.[/quote]

It is changing rapidly, although an integrated and systematic presentation is still more to my personal taste. YMMV.

One of the advantages lately to manufacturers' literature: they will give you actual part numbers of the trickier components, e.g. the magnetics. That's half (or more) the battle sometimes.

Also there is freeware that can move you quickly into a viable design---maybe not state-of-the-art, but damn decent especially if you already have some idea about good layout practice etc.

Quoted Dan's short version of the consensus so far[quote author="Dan Kennedy"]Yeah Brad,

The manufacturers stuff is more valuable than most books, because it is all changing so fast. The overviews are fine, but they all do that, but so does the annual Electronics Design issue.[/quote]

That is what I was finding as I searched around a bit, but I thought I would check to see if anyone around here had a good find book wise.

Thanks for everyones input,

Well, since I have a credit over at amazon, I think I'll check out the book Brad recommended. I also edited my last post to reflect my intented meaning better.

Thanks everyone,

[quote author="bcarso"]The late Abe Pressman's books are a pretty good blend of practice and theory, imo. One aspect I really appreciate is his showing the kinds of waveforms you are likely to observe in a switcher, rather than idealized graphs only. I think he even mentions which parts are likely artifacts of your probe and ground lead, and which are due to actual circuit parasitics.

EDIT: For example: ISBN 0070522367, Switching Power Supply Design, McGraw-Hill 1997.[/quote]

I second this suggestion...highly recommended
-Mike

These guys offer some online design wizard to SMPS.

http://www.vicr.com/

Almost what I need, cos I am after negative rails too...
IC manufactures seems to be the best resource to me right now.

cheers!
Fabio

Latest posts

Back