Orange Drops or Wima MKS for Pultec ???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orange drops VS Wimas

• Orange drops

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wima MKS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They're really a different flavor - I would try them both and listen. I would probably use Solens instead of WIMAs, though...

Peace,
Al.

http://www.banzaieffects.com/Solen-Fast-c-255.html

kinda getting expensive! what does M@nley use?

I did some search and there are many tastes as one could say.

Some prefer the FKP over MKS...
Orange drops 716 are preferred over 715 series...
Some say Polypropylene is the way to go...
Some say Polyester on the low freqs and carbon type on the high end....

So one can get very much confused when doing the search :shock: :roll: :?

Can someone describe the difference between the Orange drops and Wimas please?

[quote author="Purusha"]And I guess there is no difference between Wima MKS 4 and MKS 2 :roll:[/quote]
Not sure whther that is a joke or not
they are jsut different pin spacings
MKS02. MKS2, MKS4

[quote author="uk03878"][quote author="Purusha"]And I guess there is no difference between Wima MKS 4 and MKS 2 :roll:[/quote]
Not sure whther that is a joke or not
they are jsut different pin spacings
MKS02. MKS2, MKS4[/quote]

IIRC they have different tolerances which would lead to the conclusion that they must be manufactured in a different way. In which details they differ I don´t know. Maybe you check the Wima page. There´s some infos about the different series.
http://www.wima.com/EN/technicalinformation.htm

EDIT: I used cheapo MKTs for my GPultecs and I don´t have any complaints soundwise

[quote author="Purusha"]Can someone describe the difference between the Orange drops and Wimas please?[/quote]

Sure: The Wimas sound kinda like a British pirate from the 1800s who's spent a few too many years in the Caribbean. His skin is tan, and he has gonorrhea from all the prostitutes he's done. He will be killed in battle, exactly 3 years and 2 months from today - but he doesn't know it yet.

The Orange Drops, on the other hand, are more like a Sunday morning Tom & Jerry cartoon where Tom actually manages to get to Jerry, only to be forcefully man-handled by Spike (the bull dog, remember him?) right as he's getting ready to eat the mouse. The rape turns out to be a good thing, though, since laboratory tests will later confirm that Jerry did indeed share a needle with that bubonic-plague-infested rat in episode 14B.

Hope that helps! :thumb:

Peace,
Al.

I always thought the orange drops sounded more round and organic while the Wimas can be boxy... Orange drops tend to have a peak spectral response around 620nm, too. :roll: Sorry...just getting warmed up for the big architecture dance this weekend...

Some prefer the FKP over MKS...
Orange drops 716 are preferred over 715 series...
Some say Polypropylene is the way to go...
Some say Polyester on the low freqs and carbon type on the high end...
And now what do you conclude? Personally I'd say it can't matter that much, can it?

Samuel

OK, let's get serious now :wink: :green:

If I devide the low and hi frequencies, what do you recommend for each section?

LOW FREQ - MKS, MKP or Orange Drops?
HI FREQ - MKS, MKP, Orange Drops or Styroflex?

[quote author="AnalogPackrat"]I always thought the orange drops sounded more round and organic while the Wimas can be boxy... [/quote]

Wima's boxy?
Maybe, but it's a tight and creamy box.

Orange Drop look like candy.
Me like candy. Me like Orange Drop.
OrangeDrop.jpg

I suspect that the difference will be sooooo slight ............. that you should use whatever costs the most. It'll make you feel better.

[quote author="mikka"]I suspect that the difference will be sooooo slight ............. that you should use whatever costs the most. It'll make you feel better.[/quote]
:green: :thumb:

Latest posts

Back