Using cloth covered wire in an LA2A..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallout

Is there any reasons i shouldnt use regular Fender style cloth covered wire in an LA2A? I have some regular shielded wire as well but thought the cloth would 'look' cool.. :wink:

Thanks! :guinness:
-Jay

I have never used cloth covered wire, but the insulation being able to move like cloth does makes me uncomfortable. I know I routinely got shocked on my old Fender amp and my dim youth. How is it to strip?

I used cloth wire in my la2a and other stuff. It's great and fast. You don't need to strip it, just cut it to length and push back the cloth, it also stays where you put it being solid core.

guys;
Why do that.
Are you designing a museum piece or a piece og good sounding gear.
Not to get on the "sound of wire discussion" I am NOT going there.
You plain teflon wire sounds good, solders good. Pain to strip. Last a ling time and stands up to the high voltage and Temps very good.
Use solid or stranded what ever you prefer.

I only ask because I have a lot of it laying around... My concern was if I'd get more hum or noise due to it being unshielded. You have to admit, it looks cool too! :twisted:

-Jay

Its ok, but LA is not so high z like g. pickups...so diference is not like in fender. I think that best way is like original :roll:

Adrian, the cloth wire rocks.
If you want to try some, let me know.
Its the only wire I will use from here on out.
Plus, it looks sooo COOL!

cj

speaking of wire...

I made up some turret brds today and have got some bits stuffed, but now its time for the real p2p :thumb:...I have some solid core wire which I thought about using but it's seems a bit thin, specs are: Rating: 1KV 1.4A max, 1.2mm dia. - that coo fer skool?

ta

The wire they use in the reissue is really thin - 24 gauge I think. The PT is only 40ma and under 400V rectified, so you should be okay with the wire you have.

Latest posts

Back