Futz box... Some ideas for DIY-ing one...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No sh*t!!!

I didn't bid, since it just went too high. Look slike I'll have to DIY one, though I might end up getting a new LaFont to play with as well... I can learn and share my findings...

Keith

how do we do the distortion harmonics adjustment ? (from even to odd order...)
I wrote a whole article on this subject a couple of years ago at:

http://www.muzique.com/lab/warp.htm

regards, Jack

[quote author="cjenrick"]or just use a megaphone like wumba jumba and be really uncool![/quote]
I just saw a band yesterday that used a megaphone for a "old record" sound effect - it sounded quite authentic :grin:

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

http://www.muzique.com/lab/warp.htm
:cool:
I really do like much of Jack's stuff and the Fet Muff does sound cool.

Generally I am interested in what is essentially a Film and Television effect. I've had a couple of requests to make something like this but never got around to it. Usually end up with a dist and an EQ and probably some more comp blah blah ....

Not wanting to get too far Off Topic BUT something that has long interested me is the Radio Effect that is probably most recognisable from the last battle in 'Star Wars' ... RED Leader, BLUE Leader etc ...

Does anyone know the effect I mean ?

The sound that a radio can make when on a side band or something. Phasey and Pitch shifted all at the same time and continuously moving.

Yeah,
a friend is working on a Sci-Fi movie soon.

Kev, I remember this sound happening when I talked on a HF radio. I think it was caused by the long wavelength bouncing on startosphere, thus slitely moving the phase back and forth. Probably a HAM guy could pinpoint what you need.

Yap... SSB "monkey chatter"...

Check out 'Worst" buy the Tom Tom Club... one line on there had a phone scrambler on it... that sounded cool!!! - an undecoded SSB inversion, basically.

Keith

Yep ... that's the one.

So as an audio eng/operator ... how do you go about making this sound or setting up a circuit and DIY a SSB box thingy ....
combined Telephone FUTS and SSB thingy

:green:

GT does tell a story about a Neve unit made for the BBC (I think)
to make the telephone sound.
( I think I just rec a PM about this ... see GT's Secrets section )

How to simulate the sound of SSB?

If you wanna be hardcore about it, you could actually create SSB and demodulate it with a variable BFO input to the detector, to allow you to dial in the desired degree of "duckness." Or just demodulate with a regular AM detector.

The overall effect could probably be simulated using a ring modulator with a variable "carrier" source, perhaps a halfwave rectifier for grit, and/or other means to invert frequency and distort the signal.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]How to simulate the sound of SSB?

If you wanna be hardcore about it, you could actually create SSB and [/quote]

It is difficult to simulate complex parametric system,
in digital domain.
You need Hilbert transformer and complex multiplier.
Use Csound for do it.

By simple rectifiing, you only add harmonics
NO shifts.
xvlk

Oh, we were talking about a digital box?

Guess I'm out, then :wink:

Here's a very simple ring modulator
ringmod.jpg

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Oh, we were talking about a digital box?

Guess I'm out, then :wink:

Here's a very simple ring modulator
ringmod.jpg
[/quote]

But ring modulator not shifts frequencies, but
doubles and shifts.
With sine input you take modulated sine by ring,
but by SSB take sine at other frequency.

You can use dome filter (it is set of allpases)
followed by two multipliers and quadrature LFO to
do it in analog.

It is 20 op amps and some discretes.

xvlk

Hi,

I just thought I bring this up again. Anyone who is developing something like this ?

Jürgen

Chump,

I saw this curcuit once at a page full of crazy guitar effects (not at geofex)... but I can't find that page anymore... any clues?

And I saw this ebay auction of thought of Keith

http://www.proaudioeurope.com/images/ebay/ebay-25-07-06/Calrec-telefx-2.jpg

Interesting front panel
Telephone Effects Units are basically simple filter sets that can be used to make a voice sound like its coming through a telephone. But they're also very useful for other sources, including music. These units have high and low pass filters of the highest audio quality, with switchable frequencies. Low pass is Flat, 3kHz, 1.5kHz, 750 Hz or 300 Hz. High pass is Flat, 230 Hz, 250 Hz, 900 Hz, 1.8 kHz. It would only take a few simple resistor and capacitor changes to alter these values to more traditional musical filter frequencies. The modules have a built in transformer balanced output (Lundahl LL1517) so the only extra circuitry needed is a power supply (+/-16, and maybe 5v) and XLR connectors from the multipin connectors on the back (mating connectors are readily and cheaply available from any good electonics supplier eg RS, FarnellinOne.

Back