Coil Winder

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

I have a broken winding machine built by the "coil winding equipment company" I am fixing. It has cams and gears to set the patterns. I googled the name but did not find anything yet.

I am looking for a manual that might have the setups written down. The motor and wiring need to be fixed rust removed etc. I am guessing from the look of it it was built in the 40's or 50's.

Chris any good places for buying coil bobbins?

DIY DIY weeeeeeeeeeee

Sorry Gus,

I missed this thread and started another one. Here is the pic Gus sent me to post:

winder1.jpg

Now I just came in to add that picture! Looks like I was too slow off the mark, Mark.

Looks like fun, Gus. Let us know the results.
:thumb:

I just took a good look at the winder and parts I have a number of different heart shaped cams all with two numbers stamped on them. If you look at the pcture the cam is tapered there is a knob on the back that adjusts where the tracers? touch this allows the total side to side movement to be fine adjusted. I guess the larger number is the max and the smaller number the min coil size

There is a reostat mounted in the base that adjusts the sewing machine type motors speed.

I have a number of gears with the teeth stamped on them, there is a gear train on the backside.

It looks like you set the total number of winds in the counter and the unit counts down to 0 and shuts off the motor. The counter is driven off a toothed belt.

I have two holders for coils I will make more.

I just found a motor in my junk parts so it might be up and running soon.

I think the gears set the wire to wire spacing and the cams the total coil size. It looks like alot of setup.

Chris anyone that worked/s with magnetics any words of advice.

With what Chris knows and me and this machine we might be able to DIY some cool transformers.

I just made a pickup coil winder from Jason Lollar's book. Uses a sewing machine motor for winding and oscillating fan motor to run a cam for side to side winding spacing similar to what this machine looks like. If my little contraption works then this one should be really nice once you get it going. Good luck.

Let the winding begin!
Needless to say, I have some stuff that needs rewinding!
I will post the real numbers for the UTC HA-100X and A10 series shortly.
Inductances also.
cj

I got it running. Its cool. I need to find some springs for the cam part.. you preset the number of turns and it shuts off at 0. the reostat controls the speed of the motor.

I need to do some measurements for the gears. The gears set how fast the wire transverses. I will measure one and then do the math for the others. I need to figure out how to feed the wire to the guides.

Happy Happy

Believe it or not, I think a lot of those old transformers were hand wound. Cams were always tricky because of the precision needed. It was hard to get the perfect transverse speed to match up with what gauge wire you were using, so maybe try hand winding first to see if you can pull it off. This also alows you to feel the tension and any kinks that might go by undetected.
I guess I am finally going to have to break down and get some "winding" glasses, whatever those are!
cj

You certainly don't need "winding glasses". It is just this new kind of magnet wire is more stealth like and you need special optics to deal with it properly.

If your really moving, you can't even see the wire. It's done by feel and experience. It's amazing to watch a pro really haul ass. Just a blurr, then stop, then another blurr, then stop.
If you cross over, you can feel a change in tension due to a larger diameter layer now being applied.
Random wound nylon bobbins would be a good place to cut your teeth.
Then try blueprinting some UTC's!
I think I will start with some LS series lams, bigger, therefore easier, and not a bad trasnformer, either!

I found this one:

http://www.circuitcellar.com/renesas/winners/3339.htm

:cool:

:guinness:
Fabio

Back