The official G9 help thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mbira said:
Hmmm...
Never noticed that now we are using a 15v and 12 v transformer.  I just ordered two 15v torroids.  Does that just make the 78s12 run hotter? 

No - it's mainly for getting the HT voltage more within a good range...

----
Audiophreak
- you can use any type of capacitor you like, as long as it fits the needed specs. I like Wima's, but any type will do fine as well. 99% of the "sound" is in the tubes and transformers anyway.

Jakob E.

Thanks Jacob,

another question... the input/phaze/high pass switches, I looked at the circuit board and looks like the "A" pole of a 4 pole switch goes to the upper right, looking at the pcb from the printed side, then noticed that the register pin was in the 12 O'clock position. is this correct positioning ?
            also I noticed that there are two pads marked " to light 12v 50mA" is this "DC" ?

Thanks,
            Chip

audiophreak said:
               another question... the input/phaze/high pass switches, I looked at the circuit board and looks like the "A" pole of a 4 pole switch goes to the upper right, looking at the pcb from the printed side, then noticed that the register pin was in the 12 O'clock position. is this correct positioning ?
             also I noticed that there are two pads marked " to light 12v 50mA" is this "DC" ?

I can't remember the way the switch goes. If you have a meter then simply use it to make sure it is switching the connections properly. The 12V to the lamp is DC.

Didierterrific said:
I have just bought G9 at second hand. and the input jack does not work.

Do you mean the DI input isn't working? Does it work when you hook up a mic to the same channel?
Rob

The 4 pole rotaries can go any direction-it's all the same.  didierterrific, If I were in your shoes I'd open it up and see if there is something obviously wrong with the jack-otherwise, you are going to need to trace the signal.

In the G9 the mic signal goes through the jack and since the mic input is working it could be a problem with the way the jack is wired. Or, seeing as you bought it second hand, the previous owner may not use the DI so he could have cut the connection to it to avoid the oscillation at high gain. Given the fact that the mic input is working, whatever the problem is it's probably easy enough to fix.

A picture or two of the inside of the unit would help us understand what problem you're having.

Rob

Hi,
  Its me again...
        I read in a thread here somewhere that a Carbon Pot with DC voltage will deteriorate over time, and to use cermet or conductive plastic, but cant find any with a Log tapper as well as 47k

Can I use a Linear tapper instead of a Log ?
    Can I use a 50k instead of a 47k

or is carbon fine.

Thanks,
          Chip

Just use a 50K log carbon pot or pay more for another kind.  log is important, type-not so much.  In 30 years when it goes bad, you can replace it.

To Ram :
sorry for the late reply. I was in London to see Kings'X ... aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
So! yes the previous owner didn't use the DI...
i tried to connect a switching jack on the channel 1 but no sound.

I go back to my home this evening... i take pictures and send them to you.

thank you
Didier

Hi,
   Not sure where I lifted this image from, but is this the corrected way to hook up the power transfos ?
G9TransforHookup

Thanks,
          Chip

Attachments

• Transfo-hookup-for-G9.jpg
    Transfo-hookup-for-G9.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 207
Yep.
OK.  Does the jack work on either channel?
Silly question, but are you sure you switched the rotary to "line" when you tested it?

Latest posts

Back