pucho812

Removing potted material from potted chips and such
« on: September 09, 2006, 07:32:27 PM »
I am sure it's been covered. Anyone got a good way outside of a single edged razor for removing epoxy potting or whatever that material is from opamps and  IC chips? Have some potted ones on a channel strip that, now this is a shocker, are not listed in the manual other then part no and the description. The description is hybred opamp. there was a similar pic I posted of a different hybred opamp IC from the consoles master section.  there are 3 per channel and if it's anything like the one I posted the other day then totally DIYable and replaceable despite sony's discontinued for 7 years SOL on parts policy.  I will make these dead channels thing breath life like new again...  :thumb: :twisted:
So whats a good way outside of a razor? Any chemicals or else come to mind?
You tell me whar a man gits his corn pone, en I'll tell you what his 'pinions is.

mikka

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 12:39:09 AM »
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00179.htm

Doesn't look good.  If it isn't epoxy you could try acetone or xylene.........maybe ammonia..... :?  :sam:

mnats

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 05:22:53 AM »
Use some dichloromethethane, sold as "Attack" in the US. Soak it for a while and it will turn hardened epoxy into a gel-like substance that can easily be broken into little chunks.

mikka

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 05:59:49 AM »
Cool info........ let us know how it goes.

gyraf

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 05:59:57 AM »
I'm more the Heatgun&Razor type of guy..
..note to self: don't let Harman run your company..

pucho812

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 03:00:24 PM »
Quote from: "gyraf"
I'm more the Heatgun&Razor type of guy..

This would be a first attempt so might have to go with that as it's an old standard...
You tell me whar a man gits his corn pone, en I'll tell you what his 'pinions is.

sahib

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 03:11:06 PM »
Yeap,

Dichloromethethane is your man. Resin is acrylic based material and it will work.There are two different grades if dichlo. Domestic and industrial. Industrial is even heavier and will accelerate the dissolvement faster. But you may require a licence to purchase it.

Also chloroform will work too.

Now be very very careful when you are handling these stuff. You think it evaporates when it is spilled on your skin. No. It will be absorbed. Not very healthy. But you  will not die the first time either. I have been using them for 20 years.

Also wear a mask.

CJ

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 08:53:09 PM »
a good heat gun will melt anything, including hardened epoxy, and the solder that holds the parts together, so you have to walk the line, if you want your schematic on time.
If I can't fix it, I can fix it so nobody else can!
Frank's Tube Page: www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/vs.html
Guitar Amps: http://bmamps.com/Tech_sch.html

pucho812

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 09:30:50 PM »
need traces and solder together so no dice.

NewYorkDave

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 09:48:22 PM »
X-ray :grin:

The other thing you might wanna try is to get a sympathetic Sony tech on the phone who'll whisper the generic part # into your ear. Every now and then, when the planets line up just so, you'll get someone like that on the phone. At least that's been my experience, working in the broadcast end of things.

pucho812

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 10:27:32 PM »
Quote from: "NewYorkDave"
X-ray :grin:

The other thing you might wanna try is to get a sympathetic Sony tech on the phone who'll whisper the generic part # into your ear. Every now and then, when the planets line up just so, you'll get someone like that on the phone. At least that's been my experience, working in the broadcast end of things.

Dave I know half of the equation it's either a 5532, 5524 or both depending on local in the circuit. I'm wondering if they just did data sheet application note for note. you know with caps and resistors