Removing potted material from potted chips and such

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

I am sure it's been covered. Anyone got a good way outside of a single edged razor for removing epoxy potting or whatever that material is from opamps and IC chips? Have some potted ones on a channel strip that, now this is a shocker, are not listed in the manual other then part no and the description. The description is hybred opamp. there was a similar pic I posted of a different hybred opamp IC from the consoles master section. there are 3 per channel and if it's anything like the one I posted the other day then totally DIYable and replaceable despite sony's discontinued for 7 years SOL on parts policy. I will make these dead channels thing breath life like new again... :thumb: :twisted:
So whats a good way outside of a razor? Any chemicals or else come to mind?

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00179.htm

Doesn't look good. If it isn't epoxy you could try acetone or xylene.........maybe ammonia..... :? :sam:

Use some dichloromethethane, sold as "Attack" in the US. Soak it for a while and it will turn hardened epoxy into a gel-like substance that can easily be broken into little chunks.

Yeap,

Dichloromethethane is your man. Resin is acrylic based material and it will work.There are two different grades if dichlo. Domestic and industrial. Industrial is even heavier and will accelerate the dissolvement faster. But you may require a licence to purchase it.

Also chloroform will work too.

Now be very very careful when you are handling these stuff. You think it evaporates when it is spilled on your skin. No. It will be absorbed. Not very healthy. But you will not die the first time either. I have been using them for 20 years.

Also wear a mask.

a good heat gun will melt anything, including hardened epoxy, and the solder that holds the parts together, so you have to walk the line, if you want your schematic on time.

X-ray :grin:

The other thing you might wanna try is to get a sympathetic Sony tech on the phone who'll whisper the generic part # into your ear. Every now and then, when the planets line up just so, you'll get someone like that on the phone. At least that's been my experience, working in the broadcast end of things.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]X-ray :grin:

The other thing you might wanna try is to get a sympathetic Sony tech on the phone who'll whisper the generic part # into your ear. Every now and then, when the planets line up just so, you'll get someone like that on the phone. At least that's been my experience, working in the broadcast end of things.[/quote]

Dave I know half of the equation it's either a 5532, 5524 or both depending on local in the circuit. I'm wondering if they just did data sheet application note for note. you know with caps and resistors

Latest posts

Back