Black Lion 3630?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raysolinski

Okay, I screwed myself. I waited too long to get around to modding my old 3630 and now Black Lion isn't selling the kits or the instructions :sad:
Anyone here have the instructions and the parts list? I would gladly give a few $$ for them..I checked the meta's and searched here but everything is kinda piecemeal..dummies like me need the whole ball of wax :)

Ray

5532 Doubble and the Single 5534 is exactly the same as the original , just different numbers.
A test made by a highly rated Swedish Audiophile magazine found the FAIRCHILD 5534 to be the best over, both Philips, TI, etc etc.
Lowest noice, performance and best sound ( A little funny when they allso made the famous Fairchild 670 Compressor, I like that)
They specifyed, -Even the circuit is identical in the different productionlines, the Quality of the Mask and material, ect
is the reason.

;)

hm...
i would not take a bet on that, what a swedish audiophile magazine thought they found out.
German/Nordic high quality broadcast stuff used On Semi 5532 and 5534 - i guess for a reason.
Btw....
is your post related to the 3630?

best regards,
Martin

Fascinating mod this is.  I modded mine with an internal 2A toroid, mc opamps, panasonic caps and the 2 snip tape-op mod. It brought me a smooth and compact sound. But I'm still figgering out how to case this one.still a sesire is to create stepped controls for it.

hi detonator,
i in fact did the first mod i think peter purpose brought up, as well, including the 2 snip disabling the gate.
although the opamp change was a huge improvement, disabling the gates did strange things to the controls and meters, so i cannot recommend disabling the gates if you already mocked up the psu and opamps like the buttachunk mod suggests.
in fact i re-enabled the gates and although before the mod they are nearly unusable and made cruel noises, they made totally sense afterwards and were fully usable. you shouldnt disable this feature but get yourself this additional functionality.
do you add balancing stages to the unit if you already want to use a larger case? i would recommend using that receivers and drivers, this can easily be done off-board, even on breadboard.
for simplicity, i would even keep the old frontpanel and just try to mechanically fit another case to it. i somehow like the arrangement of the controls and meters and the smooth haptics. if you dont wanna keep the alesis logo and model label, you can remove it with a bit of alcohol and a sharp razor blade, carefully. took just a few minutes....
stepped controls are a bit more complicated, you would have to mount them off-board and also off-board the led meters.
but there is a singapore seller, if i remember it right, who is selling cheap rotary switches similar to the ones, that uraltone sells, worldwide....he is also selling some readily soldered stepped pot replacements at a price that does not justify soldering them at home...but i did not buy from him now, so i cannot really recommend on this...

best regards,
martin

The noise from the gates as you describe, I do not experiance. Balancing is done only on the outputs by Lundahl 1517 transformers. I'm thinking about a 2 unit 19" case. From that I'm able to mount switches  and other things. Crush and blend is another thing I' thinking of.  I will call it then Alexis 363

excellent output transformer, they are, the lundahl1517.
seems your modded alesis will get a nice new home....why not. i guess it sounds good enough to deserve a more classy packaging ;D

best regards,
m.

Latest posts

Back