160 Vu on the bench distorted output at all volumes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that the 165 has mute FETs... The 160VU... (god, I HATE dbx's numbering system... they've called simply TOO many things "160" something or other) -Do you mean the little half-rack-width, 2RU high thingie..?

If so I'd have to look and see what's in the signal path, but I'm betting it's just a diff-receiver, a VCA and an output buffer... Disconnect the sidechain sense from the input to make sure that the RMS sense circuit isn't loading it down, then track onward from there... It's a blindingly short signal path in most of that era dbx product.

Keith

Pull 'em all. Insert sockets and replace them one at a time (you can't measure 'em with a test meter, since until there's a bias on the Gate, the Drain and Source will read as shorted, even on the good ones.)

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"]I know that the 165 has mute FETs... The 160VU... (god, I HATE dbx's numbering system... they've called simply TOO many things "160" something or other) -Do you mean the little half-rack-width, 2RU high thingie..?
[/quote]

They had only one "160" model, which folks now refer to as the 160VU to differentiate it from the 160X and so on (even though the "X" has a VU meter too, though LED, not D?Arsonval ) I guess. But you knew that.

...Then there's the 160S:

...and its near-twin, the 160SL:
dbx-160S.jpg

I mean, for goodness' sake, can't they just assign a new number....?

Keith

Latest posts

Back