G 1176 vs PURPLE AUDIO MC76 vs UREI 1176

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How does the G 1176 sound on vocals and overall?

• not bad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Close enough

• very nice but still not the real thing

• just perfect

• wow even better :green:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is that Custom line input transformer a replica of the 0-12 utc

yes. see the MC77 parts page for more info on the parts, SOME of which are included in the kit.

http://purpleaudio.com/Product/MC77part.html

ed

was reading about this B11148, whatever i could anyway, and it seems i have some nickel 625ei around, .65" stack as ed mentioned in another thread...... turns ratio is 1+1:3.5+3.5, although somewhere else i thought i read 4 identical windings?

in pictures i've seen of 1109's it looks an awful lot like a 4804, being cardmounted in that case.

anyway, just wondering if anyone knows anything about wire gauge for these guys, or can confirm 1+1:3.5+3.5

wouldn't mind trying it in my g1176, go for a true g unit, or something.

or maybe some la3 or 1109 foolishness ;]

billy

Are you sure that it's a nickel core for the output transformer? At the mentioned price, I'd doubt that - but I may be wrong.

On the other hand, the transformer (carrying some DC current, but in a pseudo-outbalanced manner) may or may not be air-gapped core - try checking that out as well..

From the old schematic drawings it looks like the transformer has five windings in four groups - a total of 10 wires comes out - but this might not be important.

Can't help you with the turns ratios - though I'd be very interested in knowing this too, if anyone has access to that info!

Jakob E.

I had an 1109 output transformer on the bench a few weeks ago and it was most definitely EI625 steel of some sort, not nickel. Also, I got more than 14dB step-up by wiring it series:parallel, so the 1+1:3.5+3.5 ratio would make sense. Only 8 wires, in the same colors as an AP2503.

[quote author="Family Hoof"][quote author="gyraf"]Yep - but the 1109 lineamp is like the later push-pull class-AB 1176's - not "blackface class-a"

Jakob E.[/quote]
Yes, I know. Did someone say otherwise?[/quote]
I think that in such close proximity to the Purple Audio kit information, it's a very wise idea to be prefectly clear at all times...

Specially since I dragged the whole thread (back on page 1) into a direction where I opined that it's vital to be very specific about WHICH revision 1176 in all of these discussions...

:thumb:

to throw some more information into an already fragmented thread...

if billy (enthalpystudios) or anyone else wants to try to wind their own 1:3.5 OPT for the g1176, here's a simplified version of the b11148:

the core is 46 pieces of 29ga M6 steel, interleaved (no gap) in a 0.625" square stack.

the winding structure is:

1/2 secondary
primary
1/2 secondary

first wind 475 turns of 30ga. the beginning is the start of your secondary, the end gets spliced to the beginning of the other half of the secondary.
wind on a layer of mylar insulation
next wind on 270 turns of 26ga. the beginning is the start of your primary, the end is the finish of your primary.
another layer of insulation
finally, another 475 turns of 30ga. the beginning connects to the end of the first winding, and the end is the finish of your secondary.

that's it. try to wind as neatly as possible, or wind very tight randomly, and it should all fit.

have a look at the DIY API output winding threads for details on labelling, bringing out leads, etc.

another good option for a 1:3.5 output is the marinair LO2567 with pri in parallel, sec in series. cj has posted the winding infos.

i'd like to make some full blown b11148 transformers available for purchase some time soon. but there are some other projects in the pipe first.

ed

edit: mixup in the turns numbers
edit again: mixup in the wire gage

wow ed, thanks so much for that.

only reason i said anything about nickel is because it's what i've got.... I'll try it with that and see how it works, and if winding trannies doesnt blow up in my face than i'll order some m6.

winding transformers is definitely not something worth doing to "save a buck"

its definitely something that is worth doing if you're just into trying it all out to see how it all works.

i was just relieved to see another solid transformer, for which i have an immediate use, that could be wound on the lams i have in my boxes of stuff

so thanks again guys! awesome stuff.

billy

A quick question : can I use Sifam AL-29WF Meter instead of the Hoyt meter with MC77 KIT?

I just noticed that they are different in size and I would have to make a new front panel for the MC77 if I go with Hoyt.

I had an eye on the Purple MC76 kit for a long time . After reading this thread I just had to order. It arrived this week and I am very impressed!
If it included the 1n4936 diodes (what are they?)and those various mega ohm 1/2 watts I would of been able to build right away. So close! Anyway, this kit is a great deal!

Back