Perfect sifam knob removal tool not modding a screwdriver

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

O.k. after aasking about removing Sifam knobs and getting various ways to do it without having the proper collet(sp?) tool, I came up with an even simpler solution. This one required no modification of a flathead screw driver.
What did I do? I used what I have always known as wire cutters but aparently they are called dyke pliers.
Anyway they worked out great and since I already own them I didn't need to buy them. Fit perfectly and since they are adjustable was able to use them on the big and small sifam knobs.
:thumb:

"Dyke pliers" = diagonal cutters....nothing to do with anything else...

A very universal tool...hope your're using an old pair, or at least someone else's...

Edit: need some cheapies?
http://www.all-spec.com/1/viewitem/170m/ALLSPEC/prodinfo/w3path=cat?i=09_06_8man_index

Download the rebate form do the paperwork and these cost only 31 cents, up to five pair...

Yes, I use Sandvik/Lindstrom cutters, and would NEVER do this with them; it DOES break off the tips if you continue to do it. It also side-loads the lap-joint and makes them sloppy over time.

I'd be sure to add that as a caveat for anyone who has expensive tools. -It also chews up the soft Brass of the collet, so if you're going to be doing a lot of this, it's NOT a reccommended practice in my workshop; Only really to be used in off-site situations, in a pinch.

Keith

Back