can i burn up these transistors?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

versuviusx

hi i'm using :
PN4250A
TIS98
2n2102
2n4036
2SA798

i just starting soldering with them and then i wondered if it were possible for me to destroy them by not using alligators to insulate them. i've heard that some transistors can get burned up when installing them...and i just want to be careful.
please let me know

Some types are more sensitive than others, but while there'll be solder recommendations in the datasheets that may differ from type to type, listing these type-no's might be overspecific :wink:

As for most things in life, don't overdo. Solder the wire-links & passive components on the PCB first & then do the semiconductors. A few seconds should be OK, but if you need half a minute to get a good solderjoint then reconsider some more solder-practice with already broken components.

Have a look around for solder-guides if you haven't already. Lots of good info available.

Regards,

Peter

I asked this same question a while back (not with specific part numbers) and PRR responded to the effect that transisitors are not as fragile as we're often led to believe.

Still, I would keep the soldering time short!

Back