transistors and how to find good alternatives

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

versuviusx

hi i was wondering if someone could layout all the values i should compare when looking for alternative transistors.
for example: same voltage, HFE etc.
does anyone have a list.
for example here is a transistor:pN4250A
or the 2N2102. i'd like to experiment and find some cool combinations. please help.

I do find alternative transistors in a comparison table. You can get theese books at your part-dealer. Mostly their suggestions fit pretty good, at least for my humble electronic experiments. If you need transistors with some special features, like low noise or whatever, you´d better compare the datasheets.
Hope this helps

When I worked in the repair biz, we used cross-reference books to get us in the ballpark, but then we'd check the datasheets just to be sure the relevant parameters were close enough. In critical cases, we'd curve-trace the replacement candidate.

Which parameters are important vary on a case-by-case basis and I'm afraid there's no all-purpose answer.

With Si transistors some people think of them as small med and large.

Sometimes you read design a small signal Si circuit with a hfe of 200. If the design is do a certain way most Sis will work.

Now thank say a fuzz face type circuit in Si or Ge transistors matter a lot unless you change somethings in the circuit.

I can't seem to find a data book with the numbers you are asking about right now. Some of the older databook give the process #and even a drawing of the die. The die mask and transistor chip inside the package as best I can tell. The same die can be in different cases metal, plastic and different pinouts and sorted for breakdown voltage and Hfe..........

I seem to remember the 2n2222a and 2n2219 have the same die. Different package (edited )

Different number for the same die did not start with CPU speeds.

Old data books have this stuff.

With some of the circuit people here like to build the part can matter a lot.

If I find my books I will post some numbers if the transistor numbers are in them.

Back