Mackie HR824 woofer HELP!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khstudio

Please Help!

I was moving stuff around in my studio & hit my Mackie HR824 woofer & now it's broken :mad:

Does anyone know what speakers Mackie uses or how much the speaker (woofer) would cost to replace? I've never dealt with Mackie for parts... how are they? or their prices?

Thanks a lot,
Kevin

its a VIFA..... i can check the model number, and also, I found them for SUPER cheap, as in 10-30 dollars each (cant remember) from some place..... i bought two, so that they'd be the same. the replacements i got from them were unshielded, and it would be very hard to epoxy a huge freakin magnet onto these replacements.

i may have one working original, and one non-working original...... but i really need to look in a couple boxes as i cant be 100% it made the move over here.

I just cant for the life of me find where I bought mine (and the price was WAY right, whatever it was), but the model number is P22WP, and is not printed on the mackie versions.

If you want them shielded, you have to buy them from mackie, and the price is considerable.

Parts express seems to carry a different model........ if shielding is an issue for you, that may circumvent anything else.

But like I said, I need only to do some 'scouting' around my boxes and unpack some more things to see if I've got the extra. I only pulled it because I didn't want one shielded and one unshielded, wouldn't fit very well with symmetry.... wasn't sure if that shield had any effect on the balance from speaker to speaker.

I'll let you know if it turns up, or possibly I may find out where I ordered from.

Billy

That is killer! :green:

I took off the dust cover and found I had slightly crushed the aluminum voice coil :shock: but was able to get it fairly straight & it doesn't rub at all but I'm not sure how long it will last or how the tolerence (being slightly off) will affect the sound of the speaker :?

It's a temporary fix so I'm still interested in replacing it... although it seems to be working normal. Also, I've added magnets to speakers before...not too hard but that's a pretty big one so it may be hard to find.
I knew Mackie would have a severe bumped up price.

BTW, What type of glue can or should I use to put the dust cover back on?

Thank you for helping,
Kevin

:grin: before change, take a look to the switches.. last week i tough i broken a woofer in my HR824, after moving around in the studio.
Fortunately it was a x-over switch in the backpanel.. :wink:
take a look..

[quote author="tamtamstudio"]:grin: before change, take a look to the switches.. last week i tough i broken a woofer in my HR824, after moving around in the studio.
Fortunately it was a x-over switch in the backpanel.. :wink:
take a look..[/quote]

Yea, those switches SUCK :mad:

I've been aware of that problem for years... think you'd get more for your money.

It's not the switches, read the 1st post, I smashed the speaker by accident.

Kevin

take care that most probably mackie had vifa drivers specially made for them on the basis of an existing model.
the absence of model info is a hint to that.
what I'd do is contact mackie to get a replacement.
remember these are monitors and no hifi speakers
best
maxime

[quote author="enthalpystudios"]I just cant for the life of me find where I bought mine (and the price was WAY right, whatever it was), but the model number is P22WP, and is not printed on the mackie versions.
[/quote]

I think they were on sale here:

http://www.apexjr.com

P22WP is some OEM model propably, though if you get datasheet it may be possible to find close enough Vifa replacement. Mackie propably have them too.

E: Found the old pages, here are the specs:
------------------------------------------------------
Vifa P22WP-01 8" woofers OEM marked. Used in the Mackie 824 monitors. features: 30 oz. vented magnet, 35Hz - 4KHz, Mineral filled poly cone, butyl rubber surround, cast mannesium basket, 1.5" voice coil

TS: Fs 29.5Hz, QMS 2.20, QES 0.31, QTS 0.27, Vas 77 l, Re 5.8 ohms, Sd 235 cm2, Rm 2.5, Bl 10.2, Md 29.5 g, Xmax 6 mm $27.50 ea or case or 6 for $150.00

For a project using the P22WP-01 check out this link from monster-hardware.com

------------------------------------------------------

Source: http://web.archive.org/web/20040406220240/http://www.apexjr.com/speakerstuff.html

I think you can't find better replacement than this unless you get original somewhere (maybe somebody who bought them from ApexJr could sell you a pair):
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=6034200.9976&pid=1362
This may though be just a little bit too small in dia, maybe the PL22WR driver (though with paper cone) might also do.

yeah, but their mackies.... nice, but still mid priced actives with a chip amp. i have the p22wp's in mine, and i haven't measured or done anything crazy, but i will say that they are EXACTLY the same as my originals in every visual regard save for printing and the shielding magnet.

performance specs on p22wp match (low-freq) aspects of hr824's specs as well.

so yeah, i havent measured their response or anything, but i have used these for a quite a while, and after the change noticed no difference. same low end as before.

apexjr was out when I was looking, but give steve a call over there, he'll be helpful whether he has any or not.

mounting holes and etc are also perfectly on spot with the oem version.

i totally wish i could remember the place.... i tried looking through some receipts, but couldnt find that one.

it was seriously only 20 or 30 dollars.... great condition, and they had some stock.

Let me know ASAP if you find your extra speaker... if not I think I'll go with the VIFA & add the bucking magnet.

I just got off the phone with Mackie... $125 for a replacement :shock:

Kevin

I need two woofers as well. I called Madisound and US Speaker with no luck, although, Madisound has the sheiding magnets. The guy I spoke with at Madisound said they found out that the P22WPs that they had were from a hijacked truck shipment. Oops. I need the tweets too. Anyone have any info on those?

I need two woofers as well. I called Madisound and US Speaker with no luck, although, Madisound has the sheiding magnets. The guy I spoke with at Madisound said they found out that the P22WPs that they had were from a hijacked truck shipment. Oops. I need the tweets too. Anyone have any info on those?

I've had to replace one of those switches in the back of the HR824 for a customer. What a pain! It's a cheap switch that is prone to failure, but Mackie keeps using it. The switch only cost around $4.00, but it took me over an hour to change it out. So, it wound up being a pretty healthy bill for a $4 switch! As for the woofers, the closest thing out there, aside from Mackie's, has been the Apex Jr. woofer. It is made by Vifa, and is very similar to their P22. To get an exact replacement, you have to get it from Mackie. If you use a regular P22, you will have to replace them both, and buy some LCD monitors, because those woofers are not shielded.

Cheers,
Zach

Latest posts

Back