pstoedit Expert Wanted [New: AI Hints For HPGL Export Added]

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel Groner

Hi

Just started to use pstoedit to convert an EPS (saved from Illustrator) to HPGL for a FPD import. I used to following command:
Code:
pstoedit C:/myfile.eps C:/myfile.hpgl -f plot-hpgl
which results in an "Interpreter failure -1". Any hints what could be wrong? Greatly appreciated, thanks!

Samuel

sorry, can't help you, but this looks really interesting, I didn't know this exists! Tomorrow I'll try to compile it on Mac OS X and try it out. Will report back.

that is great news Samuel! I am still downloading Developer Tools, as I reinstalled my System last week... I couldn't find any packages in Fink, so I'll have to install it the "old fashioned" way :grin:

Would you know a good way to emulate the "contour" function from Corel Draw in Illustrator? I have been using this extensively to fill out Graphics, but don't know how to pull it off in Illustrator.

got it, it was available through Fink after all, in the unstable packages. I compiled it and it seems to work, at least I can convert .eps to .plt without any output errors. I hope they get the Mac version of Frontpanel Designer working soon :grin:, then my life will be a lot easier :thumb:

As promised a quick desciption of how I prepared the files in Illustrator (mainly following the excellent guide at www.nrgrecording.de/html/schaeffer.html):

1. Design the graphics in original size
2. Convert all text to outlines (Type -> Create Outlines)
3. Set the fill color to "None" and the stroke color to black
4. Set the stroke weight to 0.1 pt (picture_01.gif)
5. Subtract half the tool diameter by choosing Effect -> Path -> Offset Path...; enter e.g. -0.1 mm for a 0.2 mm tool; choose "Miter" and 4 for the join type and miter limit respectively
6. Use Object -> Expand Appearance

This now defines the contour of the graphics. To fill it repeat the following steps until no selected objects remain:
7. Duplicate the newest outline by Object -> Transform -> Move..., entering 0 mm as distance and hitting the "copy"-button
8. Sutract 35% of the tool diameter by choosing Effect -> Path -> Offset Path...; enter e.g. -0.07 mm for a 0.2 mm tool; choose "Miter" and 4 for the join type and meter limit respectively
9. Use Object -> Expand Appearance (picture_02.gif)

To visually check the design, set the stroke width to the tool diameter, the stroke cap to "round" and the stroke join to "round" as well. At low zoom settings some gaps may appear which are actually display errors--zoom in to be sure. (picture_03.gif)

For highest quality, one needs to scale the graphics up before conversion to HPGL:
10. Use Object -> Transform -> Scale... with 1000% uniform scaling
11. Save the file as EPS
12. Use pstoedit to convert it to HPGL
13. Import the HPGL-file in FPD, scale it to 10% und make sure to use the correct tool diameter (picture_04.gif)

Disclaimer: I have not yet ordered a front panel which was designed by using this method. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work, but you never now...

Samuel

Samuel, it's time for a new frontpanel and I applied your great Illustrator tutorial, thanks!! One thing that bugs me though: Sometimes you need to make fine adjustments to the results from the "Offset Path" effect, because it is quite coarse, is there any way to get finer results? This is a short example of what I'm talking about:

A gain switch numbering (font size 8 pt):
illustrator1.png

The path offset by 0.1 mm (for 0.2 mm tool):
illustrator2.png

The result with stroke set to 0.2 mm and round joins / caps:
illustrator3.png

Any ideas? Thanks, Marten

Old thread ..I know..

martthie_08 said:
Any ideas? Thanks, Marten

If possible use the 0,1 engraving tool and keep the outline + enough fill in layers so you're not getting any gaps in the letters.
This will be more expensive because the tool has to travel more.

Hello Samel, it's been a little time since my first pots, but i'm now really into making my faceplate, and doing the art work in illustartor for exporting to HPGL using your technique;
First of all i've understood your technique and i'm using illustartor in French, but could find the actions...
Second i understand the way to prepare the drawing for exporting, but for exemple i've tried a simple form, a 1mm Thick circle, and followed your technique, and i'm running into a weird thing. Each time i offset the line to 35% substraction, i have the line getting closer together and not spaced uniformely, i've tried for 0.2 - 0.4 - 0.6 tool, for this one i'm sure a 1mm tool will do the job no prob actually, but whatever, i'm always having the same prob. For me it doesn't look ok, because if the path for the tools looks like what i have then the engraving will be pretty weird. Yours look ok, all lines spaced the same. Do you know what i made that makes it wrong? Here is what i'm talking about:

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/9624/simpleholehpglfor06mmdr.jpg

and here is what i want it to look like, it's a simple 1mm thick cercle:

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/6453/1mmthickcercle.jpg

Nothing very hard, but i wanted to get my hands on how to do with that before going too deep.
Thanks a lot for helping out Samuel.

No idea--perhaps there's a function which makes the distance proportional to the object size? I have a rather old software version, so there might be substantial differences.

Samuel

Old thread but relevant to my issue. 

I'm trying to create a set of 1.2mm filled circles (like those on the Neve 1073 scales and ez1073) for my ez1073 panel.  I create a filled circle in Illustrator and save as an eps file.  Then using pstoedit I convert the eps file to an hpgl and import into Front Panel Designer.  The problem is the "filled circle" always turns into a donut.  Even if I open the eps file back into Illustrator (before converting to hpgl) the filled circles as a donut.  How do I get an eps file with the filled circle?  It must be easy and I'm just missing somthing!

Latest posts

Back