How to install LED at SLAM mode on the G1176?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnus Lindberg

Hello

I was just wondering (before even starting on the G1176 project) if it is possible to mount a LED for the slam-mode. Meaning it should be lit when the slam is ON. I have been looking at the Gyraf slam design and i am gonna use a regular "flip-switch".

Is there enough voltage there? It is even possible?

Cheers

Hej Magnus!

I would suggest that you use a four pole switch and connect it so that when slam mode is on, the led is lit and the meter is disconnected. The slam mode makes the meter slam into full scale all the time and this is not so good for the meter, especially if you leave it in slam mode over the night.

Good luck on the build! Hälsa grabbarna på studion!

/Anders

you could have one slam mode WITH meter and another one without meter if you use relais (e.g.)...

Thanks guys!

I approaching the wiring stage now and I gave this a little thinking. I have a three pole switch. But shouldnt I be able to switch off the meter when switching on the NUKE anyway?

Its an ON-ON switch. So on the 3rd pole I would connect 0V to the centre tap (from meter - pad), the LED to the NUKE ON tap, and the meter to the NUKE OFF tap.

I guess the meter - pad on the meter PCB doesnt have a reference to 0V...but if I use use pad 28 from GR amp then I would at least turn off the GR VU metering. Makes sense?

[quote author="kvintus"]Hej Magnus!

I would suggest that you use a four pole switch and connect it so that when slam mode is on, the led is lit and the meter is disconnected. The slam mode makes the meter slam into full scale all the time and this is not so good for the meter, especially if you leave it in slam mode over the night.

Good luck on the build! Hälsa grabbarna på studion!

/Anders[/quote]

is that only in vu mode or gain reduction mode as well?

he meant just cutting one of the meter pads

Right!

does the meter peg when ratio is set to slam in both VU and GR or just VU

It should peg only in GR mode, so I see your point: if you connect it as I suggested the meter will be off when SLAM is engaged. That means you connot monitor the output level when in slam mode. It hasn't been a problem to me, but if you really need the output meter I'm sure you can use the brain cells to figure out how the slam-switch should be connected to only turn off GR-metering.

Good luck!

/Anders

I'm just about to implement my led for slam mode---I'm curious---whats the best way to get power for the led from the circuit?

Is pin 1 of the voltage regulator ok or can the led handle straight AC? Either way, where do I connect it back?

I am gonna take my power from pin 1, then back to ground. I think the VU-lamp pads on mnats board are on this spot...not absolutely sure though since I haven't really started fiddling with the LED yet.

I just hope my transformer can handle the circuit, LED and the VU lamp...shouldn't be any problems i guess.

/m

Latest posts

Back