To DIY or not to DIY, (mic preamp), that´s the question..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Green seems a mid level preamp, and quite easy to build.
Is here any clone here of the Universal Audio preamps?

Why Clone it? Just go buy an 610 or 110, the solo series are quite afforable and I doubt you could build one for less and support them in the process.

This Forum is not a 'one stop shop' for cheap clones.... though as of late it may seem that way :?

The clones here are in fact not true clones or copies but inspired by orginal designs. Check the META's for what is on offer.

Cheers

Matt

[quote author="matta"]

Why Clone it? Just go buy an 610 or 110, the solo series are quite afforable and I doubt you could build one for less and support them in the process.

This Forum is not a 'one stop shop' for cheap clones.... though as of late it may seem that way :?

The clones here are in fact not true clones or copies but inspired by orginal designs. Check the META's for what is on offer.

Cheers

Matt[/quote]
The idea for going for a clone was just to can have a reference. The number of DIY kits, designs, and projects is too much big to can really know what one to go.
Would be nice a little list of the most apreciated projects, with characterisitc of them,to can have a little orientation.
The Green may sound good, but I would like to build a high class preamp.

[quote author="lagoausente"]The Green may sound good, but I would like to build a high class preamp.[/quote]
now there is the basic problem

the Green does show class beyond it's basic components

building a clone to form some point of future reference is a cool idea

BUT
do you have the skill and knowledge to build to the level where it can be that reference ?

To ask for a list of the most appreciated projects, with characteristic
already shows a lack of knowledge and perhaps skill.
no disrespect intended.

I think that buying a commercial product to use a reference is a better idea and then you compare your DIY projects against it.
I only own a couple of commercial products but then I have worked in the industry for quite some time and so have had the opportunity to use and see inside many of these things.

honestly there is enough info here in the forum to answer your questions AND if you head for some specific DIY web sites you can find even more.

We can not help you find where the line is between class and high class
when much of what is being sold on Ebay is crap and the chances of an old unit needing some love and care is very probable.
Even if you were to buy that High Class Pre through Ebay someone would be needed to give it the love and care.

I hope that makes a little sense

To ask for a list of the most appreciated projects, with characteristic
already shows a lack of knowledge and perhaps skill.
no disrespect intended.

honestly there is enough info here in the forum to answer your questions AND if you head for some specific DIY web sites you can find even more.

We can not help you find where the line is between class and high class
when much of what is being sold on Ebay is crap and the chances of an old unit needing some love and care is very probable.
Even if you were to buy that High Class Pre through Ebay someone would be needed to give it the love and care.

AMEN! Seek, and you will find young JEDI....

Matt

You are going to be on your own for the most part building a battery-powered Green. I can sort of tell that you don't have a clear idea how you plan on accomplishing that. Just buy a commercially available product and save yourself a bunch of headache. Problem solved. :grin:

To DIY or not to DIY, (mic preamp), that´s the question..

I would say if you have to ask, don't do it yourself (DDIY). If you are prepared to spend some money, time learning, and building you will be rewarded with a quality piece of gear that you can be proud to use. This can lead to other projects and an education in audio electronics. Keep in mind with most people that do this it is or becomes a passion, but it doesn't happen easy or over night. If you aren't prepared for this just buy something that meets your needs or budget.

Perhaps the best thing to do is learn what makes a good preamp to begin with and then decide if this something you wish to pursue.

[quote author="BYacey"]most people that do this it is or becomes a passion [/quote]

Agreed 100% :grin:

[quote author="BYacey"]but it doesn't happen easy or over night[/quote]

Agreed 200% :green:

Perhaps the best thing to do is learn what makes a good preamp to begin with and then decide if this something you wish to pursue.
Exactly. The main reason while I´m here is trying to find that. I know it requires time.
I have basic electronic knowledge, mediumschool, so even I´m newbie on preamp desings, don´t need to start from Zero to know what a zener, cap, resistor does, how calculate current, etc.
There are two issues here: one is the design. You all have reason about the time to learn, read, and passion needed to desing yourself your own preamps. Since I know it will take time till get there, I´ll want start with the second issue.
The second issue, is that is not needed all that knowledge to can build a great preamp. Needed to can design it, but not mainly to mount it. Building the Green looks good, and probably sound great, but it´s more tempting to mount a unit like a.... Gordon? For example. I´m not telling that Green is bad because are a few components with a IC. But, it´s logical that a i.e. 2000$ preamp has something more. Only color? Maybe, I really would like to know about.
This forum is full of information, op-amps, transformers, impedance, lot of combinations of components, colors, management of noise floor..., All that just for color the sound? There are lot of pluings to can do it. If I´m correct, management of some parameters are need to can get a good preamp, so not just noise floor and harmonic distorsion. Many of you have walked along this road. But just take a pcb graphic, print it, take a photosesible board, make the holes and mout the components can be done quite easily I think.
I know, that just trying to come to this point, without have passed through the long reading hours about designs is a too much confortable actitude.

This is the mainly problem.

[quote author="lagoausente"]
The idea for going for a clone was just to can have a reference. The number of DIY kits, designs, and projects is too much big to can really know what one to go.
Would be nice a little list of the most apreciated projects, with characterisitc of them,to can have a little orientation.
The Green may sound good, but I would like to build a high class preamp.[/quote]

Hi. It sounds like you "need a reference". I know what you mean too. When I was first starting recording I built a preamp from scratch and I liked the way it sounded a lot but I had nothing to compare it to except some A&H pres in my mixer and I wanted to know more, to be more knowlegable about quality and sound. I've been in studios some but I was not into recording or the equipment at all then.

Also... you have to have portability? That' pretty limiting and I think for DIY that means greens - at least for stuff that there is boards, kits and lots of handholding for.

And... you want to start recording right away or soon, soooo -

It sounds like you can afford a BG1 and you seem to trust the quality. I would just go buy one and then start a pair of greens. That way you'll have something to compare your DIY to, no matter what you build, if not greens. And you can start recording music right away. If I wanted a "class" stereo pre and was more beginnerish, I'd buy a stereo JLM 99v kit. I'm going to buy one or two boards one day I'm pretty sure. They can be used to build pres with different characteristics, depending on what you want. Plus Joe and his faithful sidekick have great service and post here as part of the DIY community.

I ended up buying a pretty good quality channel strip which lists for $2000. It sounded good but yanno.... I liked my home made pre better. Then I got more into DIY, more knowlegeable and learned that even the better products, unless they are a small manufacturer like say John Hardy or Great River etc., make compromises and it is really very easy to build something much higher quality than good "mid priced" equipment, like say a Brick or um... anleymay/angevinlay. I had a Vee CeeDay and looked inside. One large board with average quality stuff. I sold it last year, even though it is a good product, just because I can make better things that are designed better now which will sound better and be constructed better for less money.

Buy the BG1
Make some music.
Start a pair of greens.
Make some more music.
Build something else.

Ha ha just my opinion :razz: :razz: :roll:

Kiira

Hi. It sounds like you "need a reference". I know what you mean too.
That makes me feel a little better.

Also... you have to have portability? That' pretty limiting and I think for DIY that means greens - at least for stuff that there is boards, kits and lots of handholding for.
I´ll carry the preamp on a big case, with other devices, laptop, magma chasiss. The rack units are a little big to my case, but if I build a box, probably any preamp design on this forum could be ok for me.

And... you want to start recording right away or soon, soooo -

It sounds like you can afford a BG1 and you seem to trust the quality. I would just go buy one and then start a pair of greens. That way you'll have something to compare your DIY to

I´m having a Presonus Mp20. I could use it to compare to the DIY.Ï´m no sure about the BG1, but probably I could build one if I had the schematic for a quite low price. But seems there is no avaible here.
As to be recording soon, I would want to buy a second hand device, to can sell it without lost of money when I´ll don´t need it. BG1 is quite dificult to find used I think.

I'd buy a stereo JLM 99v kit. I'm going to buy one or two boards one day I'm pretty sure. They can be used to build pres with different characteristics, depending on what you want. Plus Joe and his faithful sidekick have great service and post here as part of the DIY community.
That sounds really interesting. I´ll look about..

I ended up buying a pretty good quality channel strip which lists for $2000. It sounded good but yanno.... I liked my home made pre better
:shock:
That´s what I suspected, and why I´m asking here for a first orientation.

like say a Brick or um... anleymay/angevinlay
Sorry, I´m Spanish , and couldn´t undertand this..

I had a Vee CeeDay and looked inside. One large board with average quality stuff. I sold it last year, even though it is a good product, just because I can make better things that are designed better now which will sound better and be constructed better for less money.
That´s exactly the motivation why I would like to learn. They mainly problem is where to start. Meta documents are very good, but a laberinth, each link takes me to 10 links and form any of them , to another 10.
The thing that a newbie here may be quite lost on what info read first to can learn, doesn´t mean that don´t know what he wants, what a zener is, that will not undertand a schematic...
Simply, often, many of us have limited time, and tries to organizate the readings, and so need some orientation.

[quote author="lagoausente"]
I´m having a Presonus Mp20.[/quote]

Does your MP20 have Jensen transformers? If not you could upgrade these first.

[quote author="mhelin"][quote author="lagoausente"]
I´m having a Presonus Mp20.[/quote]

Does your MP20 have Jensen transformers? If not you could upgrade these first.[/quote]
The Mp20 have all original components. I say people who upgrade the op-amps and the transformers, but some thell that still is no special preamp, so I was thinking about selling it, but I´m not sure. Considering as selling the Mp20, maybe would be best to keep it as it came I think. Even it could sound better with the upgrade, a buyer probably prefer nobody put the hads inside.
What do you think?
I was thinking about keep it for comparing to DIY preamps, or kits, and when have a DIY preamp that for me sound better than Mp20, than sell it.

You can make some pretty asskicking music with just a presonus Mp20.

All the talk online about "world class," "high class," "special" preamps is really overblown. The difference is not as great as you're led to believe. You may like the Green preamp more than the Mp20 - but it's not going to be *that* big of a difference.

You're going to build the Green preamp anyway (right?) I would keep the Mp20 to compare the two when you're done. Don't let building stop you from making music in the meantime with what you already have.
Kato

Latest posts

Back