Brent Averill on fire.....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sender

So I open a friend's lunch box today and look what I find...

API.jpg

The source of the 'fire' looked to be coming from Pin 14 where the Diode is crispy. Is it possible for a diode to fail in such a way to cause such catastrophic damage to the OP amp?

The thing that gets me is that this came from a lunchbox full of perfectly good working modules (both API and Brent), so it isn't a voltage problem across the buss. The really sad part about this is that the module and 11 frame lunch box isn't but three months old.

Should I be afraid to put another module into that slot?

sender, I would hold off on putting a new module in that slot. seeing as your unit is so new I'd give BAE a call and have them look thru the entire rack just to be on the safe side.

I shot Avedis an email with a link to this page so maybe when he gets it he'll chime in.

(I should give him a call now but I know he got in really late coming back from S.F.)

:shock: wow Sender... I've seen components go bad without giving a clue, but never seen one scorch up like that. I suppose these are easiest to fix

No prob... just send it to BA's place and it'll get a new board, new opamp at no charge and I'll go there and do some investigating to see what could have caused it. We should get in touch by phone and I could walk you through a quick test to see if there's a problem in the slot of the rack.

Avedis

www.avedisaudio.com

Back