BASS - Ampeg - mic/placement

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khstudio

I have to record an SVT next week (rock band) and just got a B15-s fliptop working. Jensenman talked me into it :wink:

Anyway, I could use some advise on mic choices & placement on either amp.

The SVT is an occasional thing for me but the B15-s Fliptop is mine & here to stay... I love that thing.

I did a few tracks with the band last week & got pretty good results from a 421 on the SVT... I recorded a direct also but the mic alone is almost perfect.

I have to ask, how do you deal with the phase differences between the dir & mic. I've been recording direct only for years because I never had much luck with bass amps when I started recording... but now I'm back.

Mics I have that may fit the bill:

D112
RE20
U87

Thanks,
Kevin

I have to ask, how do you deal with the phase differences between the dir & mic.
How are you recording ? In a DAW ?
There are various articles out there on the net about this, one of them by Craig Anderton IIRIC. Just shift one of the tracks until it sounds right. Usually the direct track is delayed a bit. Take care to listen, not to align them by sight.

Regards,

Peter

What kind of bass & playing is it actually ? Pick/finger ? Passive bass ? (Upright ?)

Always nice to see the 421 does a nice job for a mic on bass-cabs :thumb:
Tried various mics and most of the time came back to the 421. Once had a killer tone with a D12 & DI. A MD441 can be nice as well.

Bye,

Peter

[quote author="clintrubber"]What kind of bass & playing is it actually ? Pick/finger ? Passive bass ? (Upright ?)

Always nice to see the 421 does a nice job for a mic on bass-cabs :thumb:
Tried various mics and most of the time came back to the 421. Once had a killer tone with a D12 & DI. A MD441 can be nice as well.

Bye,

Peter[/quote]

I know it's a somewhat general question about placement & style but I know there are go to mics for bass cabs... just curious what others like the most on these things.

I too like the 421 & chose it.

I also had good results with a D112 a few weeks back but I've been using that mic for kick for about 8+ years... it's probably a little beat by now.

I have a 5 string Stingray & will be getting another Jazz soon... I know some of you don't like the MusicMan but I've had nothing but great results with it... amp or dir. In fact, 9 out of 10 band choose it's sound over their's & some of these guys got some killer basses.

Kevin

depending on the sound you want will affect your mic choice. If you wanted an old rnb,motwon style vibe, go with a d12. Those are hard to find but sound killer. Out of the mics you have selected I have to go with an RE-20 as my top choice. It's very non color of sound and works well. An -87 would not be a good choice for electric but I would consider it for an upright. 414's would be too bright IMO and t might distort depending on SPL. the 57 well, will give that 57 sound. Maybe you want that I dunno. D112 is too much of a nu-metal sound for me. that's that snappy numetal kick sound which I hate. in fact I am not a big fan of the d-112 period. I prefer a beta 52 instead of the d112. Now they say the d-112 is a newer version of the d12... no it's not. 421's would be my second chouce depending on condition and year it was made. The new ones mark 5 or something are good. the ones before that are o.k.. The original white ones are the best. Make sure it's switched in M mode and not S mode. :thumb:

I've had great results using an AKG D190 on B15. no DI, just that. 421 would be my choice out of what youve got. RE20, 441, SM7 would all be worth a shot if youve got them. I love a good B15 and think in general, with that amp, you can get a great sound with no DI. depends what you are going for though. it s never going to be bright and "slappy".

mike

can you hint us some fav bands of the band you'll be working with?
RE20 is cool, as is 421 and SM7 in my book. Make sure to spend some time to get a very good DI-track. Most of the times this is what you'll use for over 50% of the total sound. Don't be shy to run this track again to the amp incase you feel you didn't get the best sound out of it.

How is your room? The lower freq's you try to record, the bigger the room influences are. This can limit your lic choise too.
What compressors do you have? To me personally, compression is often more important than the mikes I use.

You REALLY have to let us in on the type of sound you're after. With all the mikes you summed up it is possible to get good results, it really depends on your goals!

[quote author="tony dB"]What compressors do you have? To me personally, compression is often more important than the mikes I use.[/quote]
W.r.t. compression, just curious to what type of compressors you're using there.

Regards,

Peter

I got LA-2A's, G1176's, DBX 160's, Distressors & a FATSO (KILLER ON BASS).

The more I listen to my favorite bands it sounds like I'm hearing more of a miced cab than direct. The new TOOL for instance. My personnal favorite stuff is Sting, Pink Floyd, John Scofield, Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley, Steely Dan, Peter Gabriel & some newer stuff... Yes I know some in my list have a more direct sound... just listing some stuff I like.

The band I'm recording is your average ROCK/Alternative... that growling, punchy sound from the SVT just seems "right" in the mix.

Thanks everyone for your opinions :thumb:

A lot of bands don't have the time or budget to experiment for hours finding a bass sound... that's why you have to have a general idea what's up BEFORE they get there & even though it's hard to answer the question - "How do you record BASS"? There ARE some general rules & mic choices that are known to work... that's pretty much what I'm asking. I already knew about the D112, 421 & RE20... just wanted to bounce it off some of you guys, especially the AMPEG SVT & FLIPTOP B15.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Doesn't any player him/herself have strong (probably too strong sometimes...) opinions or at least experiences and ideas on how he/she wants to be recorded ? Or what has worked & didn't work in the past ? Just a thought.

[quote author="clintrubber"]Doesn't any player him/herself have strong (probably too strong sometimes...) opinions or at least experiences and ideas on how he/she wants to be recorded ? Or what has worked & didn't work in the past ? Just a thought.[/quote]

With all due respect... YES, your right, peolple SHOULD have enough talent to create a "sound" of there own but the truth is I very rarely see it. I usually end up helping the bands/clients in creating a worthy sound to fit the mix. A lot of people trust the engineer-me to know what's best.

I don't work in a "BIG" budget studio with top session players here. Sometimes I wonder why I even record some of these people... O yea, $$$ + I do enjoy it. And don't get me wrong, I do get some people who know what's up... makes my job EASY :green: And even then, these people don't have a clue on how to "capture their sound".

Kevin

Latest posts

Back