Preamp Relay Utility PCB set -Build Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guavatone

Relay Control PCB:
3x6 mm switch spacing 15mm +/- .25mm switch hole is 14.3mm from top(above LEDs)
1-relayControl-w.jpg

44mm x 95.5mm
Relay PCB
1-relayCinemag-w.jpg

1-relay-basic-w.jpg

The above photos show the XFMR setups but I have made it flexible so the user could also use the 3rd relay for something different if you are not running a XFMR with this PCB.

3rd Relay options.

Resistive impedance based on this:
http://www.jensentransformers.com/as/as016.pdf

1. Based on the Jensen schematic, the Impedance circuit would have to be on Relay #1.

2. R3 and R5 are the Impedance series resistors -exclude R4

3. Now with the PAD on Relay #3, R8 and R9 are series resistors and R7 is the Shunt Resistor.

Relay Control Voltage options:
These PCBs enable the user to have a control voltage other than 48V be used. However, one can use 48V as the Relay control Voltage by making a bridge on the Relay Control PCBs.
For 48V relays just tie a link between "Relay V" and "48V" points in the pictures above like this:
48V-jumper.jpg

For FP switches, tighten switches, loosely inset LEDs then temporarily solder switches on one post each. Make sure all switches are fully tightened before fully soldering all switch posts.
FPswitches.jpg
[/img]
Current Calculation Excel spreadsheet:
http://www.guavatone.com/free/Relay-PCB-Current.xls
Handy for Molex:
molex-1.jpg

-More to come, this is a work in progress. I'll do the the best I can to help folks, but I have much to learn and if any of the electronic gurus here can find any faults, by all means do chime in.

Thank You.

Managed to confuse myself totally - why 2 Relay Vs?
If I have 12v relays do I feed two lots of +12 into Relay V (1) and Relay V(2)???
Where is relay V 0volts?

The relay 0V is the ground pin from the molex on the upper left of the Relay PCB. Look at the traces the 0V is the ground plane that covers most of the board.

There can be only one relay Voltage source. But there are 3 lines from the Relay control PCB to control the Relays. Just hook your 12V into "relay V" on the Relay Control PCBs.

The "realy V", "48V", and 0V on the Relay conmtrol PCB are duplicated so that you just connect those 3 to the PCB closest to you Power Supply and then run the duplicates to the next Relay Control PCB, where the last PCB in the chain only has one set of these connected.

[quote author="guavatone"]
The "realy V", "48V", and 0V on the Relay conmtrol PCB are duplicated so that you just connect those 3 to the PCB closest to you Power Supply and then run the duplicates to the next Relay Control PCB, where the last PCB in the chain only has one set of these connected.[/quote]
It took me 5 minutes of staring at your answer and the pictures and saying WTF is he talking about - then but I got it
Rather than feed from your PSU multiple lines to multiple relay control PCBs - you feed one relay control PCB from the PSU and jumper from that PCB that to the others

cheers matey

If you want to use the 48 volt relays, instead of soldering a jumper to the PCB, just build it into the molex connector.

Just crimp an extra wire onto pin 4 of the 6 pin header connector on the cable harness. Then crimp the other end to pin 5 of the same connector.

hi charlie,
trying to wrap my head around your relay board.
i'm thinking of having +48V, POL, PAD and possibly a mic/DI switch if I can figure it out.

as for the +48V it seems like the usual circuit and on your board would include R9 = 200R, C1 = 220uF/63V, R1 & 2 = 6K81 if i'm not mistaken.

how do i implament the POL and PAD?
possibly relay #1 for PAD with R3 & 5 = 619R and R4 = 169R?
possibly relay #2 for POL or would it need to be relay #3?

i'm a bit confused so any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks for your help!
-grant

If you can figure how switch DI these leat me know ( it doesn't really work in my head) , but it is not set up for that. The DI switch would come after the IP xfmr

I use JLM's values for PADs. Your values should be fine just try to match series resistors very close. try to use at least 1/2 W for R9

I am on the road so, I will do my best without all my docs on hand.

Maybe you can describe your circuit. Are you using the 3rd relay to switch primaries?

Here's what to do if you don't want to use realy #3

:green:
like this for 150 Ohm input
1-Norelay-3-150.jpg

like this for 600 Ohm input
1-Norelay-3-600.jpg

I'm a latecomer to this project and I can't find a parts list.
I suspect it was in another thread that no longer exists!

Matt this is more of an optional part list depending on what you are doing with the board.

Parts list

Relay PCB

Relays
Omron
12V G5V-2-DC12
24V G5V-2-DC24

Terminals (in place of XFMR): 3.81 mm (.15") spacing
Phoenix MKDS 1/4-3.81
Kobiconn P02EK381V4

Relay Control PCB

Resistors:

4 current limiting 1/2 Watt Resistors:
24V relays
1 x 10K Mouser: 293-10K-RC
3 x 4.7K Mouser: 293-4.7K-RC

12V Relays
1 x 10K Mouser: 293-10K-RC (lower may be alright too)
3 x 3.3K Mouser: 293-3.3K-RC

Switches

Mountain Switch 108-1MS1T6B1M2QE-EVX

$2.62 for 1 to 10
$1.83 for 10+

LEDs:
( I like to be able to correspond color with usage Plus is makes my crappy studio have some eye candy )

Orange
TLHO4400
Green
TLHP4400
Yellow
TLHY4400
Red
TLHR4401

List of molex 0.1" - 3,4,6 pin headers and I like the amp .1" receptacles for Relay control and molex for Signal/Audio:

Molex 0.1" crimp terminals that go inside housing
08-50-0114

3 P header:
22-23-2031
3 pin housing molex:
22-01-3037
3 pin connector/housing AMP:
640443-3

4 pin header
Molex: 22-23-2041
AMP: 640456-4

4 Pin Fast Housing AMP:
640443-4
3 Pin Fast Housing AMP
640443-3

6 pin header :
22-23-2061
-Use 2 3P connector housing with these : one goes to your PSU (closest) and the other 3 jump to each Relay control PCB

Back