LEDS on microphones...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEDS on mics?

• Space-age and cool...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • trashy and stoopid...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

funkydiplomat

So... I've noticed a few manufacturers putting leds inside the grille of large diaphragm mics. The new 414 has leds on the switch. Is it just me, or do LEDS on microphones look trashy? WTF does anybody need them on a mic?? been bugging me for a while now. :? :?

Well, all the old 414 I saw had broken switches, :mad:
maybe this was just bad luck on my part.
Anyways they are alittle trashy gimmick wise, but I own a pair and they have served me great, good all around swiss army microphones.
The paterns and settings are kept in memory each time you unplug-em

Of course this does not mean the switches wont break after a while.

AKG wanted a remote controle for this mic so maybe that is what LED them to this concept.
We will probably never see this remote controle on the market, wich is not a bad thing, nobody need em

:green:

I could argue that having a discreet (not discrete) LED somewhere on a mic might be useful for troubleshooting. Maybe a little tiny red LED hidden somewhere.

But a big glowing thing? Stoopid, trashy, yes.

At work we have a Lawson and that has a purplish LED inside the headgrill. It gives you orientation when switching through the polar patterns. I think it's handy.

'
'
Deborah Harry's microphone.
003a._Chi_Chi_with_the_rhinestone_hammer.jpg

002a._Deb__the_Sticks.jpg

I think I'd like an LED version, that also has a button triggering an applause track.
=FB=

I can see where it can be handy in letting you know the switch settings at a glance, but could be a little distracting for the musician/singer. So as far as the poll's concerned, I'm split between liking them and not liking them.

I hate the new 414s that have the electronic switching. When you work at festivals where your drum kit is set up on a rolling riser, I've usually legged it to Front of house before the mics are attached to the multi. That means they haven't got phantom when I can actually get my hands on them to set patterns & pads :twisted: :twisted:

Latest posts

Back