Another DI project if you want. collective effort on this?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yes and no to do the collective Di project. Which type?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

• both

• passive

• actrive

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pucho812

O.k. guys through some luck and bartering I possess A Schematic to the rare Westlake DI made at one point by westlake audio. I own 2 westlake passive DI's which I purchased off evilbay on the cheap and are killer. I have the schemo to the active version. Unfortunately the schemo is on blueprint size(really really large) paper. Kinko's can find a way to scan it :? And for the passive I can scan the PCB which is single sided and do a part layove and draw a schemo. I need practice with proteus anyway. Who needs another set of DI's to do? we do. Why well for one they are no longer made( A big DIY plus) but more importantly possess some nice sonic qualities I have yet to find in other DI's and also have a hi pass filter built in. The high pass can be assigned to go out the the XLR output on the DI or the 1/4 jack for the amp. Imagine recording 2 bass tracks DI for low end and amp for mid range tone. I know putting a filter on a DI is fiarly kindergarden DIY for some but it sounds great. I am thinking we will swap the usedl jensen trafos it was made with in favor of some nice edcors which would drive cost down. Should I get the schemo into cyberspace? Should I draw a schemo of the passive one? We will see what the poll says

Pretty please.. please post the active one. I have two westlake active DI's, nice orange cases.

I can post some photos soon (weekend at latest) for reference.

CHeers, Jason

The models I have are marked DBA1100 and the circuit boards are marked EC 1004 A Copyright 1979. If these are the same models which you have schematics for I can try to figure out my scanner and scan the PCB (it is single sided as well).

[quote author="jho-audio"]The models I have are marked DBA1100 and the circuit boards are marked EC 1004 A Copyright 1979. If these are the same models which you have schematics for I can try to figure out my scanner and scan the PCB (it is single sided as well).[/quote]

thats the one.... I have the schemo for. I used to use those at westlake studio and people would think I was nuts. Then later when mixing people were always asking why my bass sounded so good. The active sound great as do the passives. Both versions are good to have in the arsenal. I suggest with using the edcors on the trafo's as they are like 10.00(us) each

good to hear.. Ill definitely post the photos soon for reference.

I really want to replace the power supply in these DIs as they are currently run off of 16AA batteries. Im really curious to see the schematic and get a better idea of what Im dealing with. Open to suggestions on the best way to power these DIs.. I was thinking of creating an external power supply that feed both of these boxes.

Unfortunately the schemo is on blueprint size(really really large) paper
what about a photo with a digital camera?
I can do a post process on photoshop if it don´t look good. you can take some pictures and I can put it the together on a file if just a photo is not sufficient to have a good resolution.

[quote author="jho-audio"]good to hear.. Ill definitely post the photos soon for reference.

I really want to replace the power supply in these DIs as they are currently run off of 16AA batteries. Im really curious to see the schematic and get a better idea of what Im dealing with. Open to suggestions on the best way to power these DIs.. I was thinking of creating an external power supply that feed both of these boxes.[/quote]

boxes should power off phantom +48 IIRC

[quote author="jho-audio"]nice.. dont know why i didnt try that :shock:

Ill post photos tonight.

Cheers[/quote]

Cause it had the battery jacks. so why not have it be battery pawered instead of off of phantom. Honest mistake. Ask sometime about reverse cardioid and a TLM 170. This had to do with a big engineer...

Tried with phantom and it didnt work. I've modified one to work with 2 9v batteries and that works nicely.. lower power on these gives a nice bit of subtle distortion to the sound. Im thinking that I'll either mod these to work with phantom or create an external power supply that provides both 18v and 24v switchable for color.

Photos as promised:

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

phantom didn't work. Thats weird I could have sworn they ran off phantom and the bats were for non phantom powered places like outside. Ask amorris he might be able to confirm that.

Back