ALTEC 436C compressor amplifier modification

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="CJ"]I have the schematic for the Altec A-322-C if anybody is interested.
I believe it pre dates the 436, so it might be fun to study the "upgrades" and try to project from there. (integration in calculus) (or trig idenity for you AS guys.[/quote]
I'd love to get a copy of that, I have one in my shop now that needs a lot of TLC.

steveaudio at earthlink dot net

Thanks!

[quote author="CJ"]I have the schematic for the Altec A-322-C if anybody is interested.
I believe it pre dates the 436, so it might be fun to study the "upgrades" and try to project from there. [/quote]

It's the first Altec limiter from the late 1940's, and is considered by many to be Altec's replacement for the Western Electric 1126, which had just gone off the market due to anti-trust legislation. A real pro piece of gear as compared to the cheapo PA line 436 / 438.

Just noticed that the Altec 438 {not 436} circuit doesnt have a centre tap on the compressor part input tran ?? I thought it would have to have to split the phase for the push pull circuit ? anyone explain Im still learning.

Thank id be very interested to hear any thoughts ......thanks

[quote author="gary o"]Just noticed that the Altec 438 {not 436} circuit doesnt have a centre tap on the compressor part input tran ?? I thought it would have to have to split the phase for the push pull circuit ? anyone explain Im still learning.

Thank id be very interested to hear any thoughts ......thanks[/quote]

It doesn't need to have a centre tap to split the phase.

Ah .......how does it split phase then ? & other vari mu limiters do split with centre tapped input tran ..dont they? & can I use non centre tapped input trans in my other vari mu limiters ?

Thanks for help Rob & anyone else

the 'A' version input trans don't have the center tap, so they use the resistive center to establish it for the bias. Look at the StaLevel; same thing.

Latest posts

Back