Painting Aluminium panels?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikki

Does the surface of the aluminium need to be coated with some sort of etching undercoat? I notice there's a product called Bonda Prime in my local car spares shop, i believe this has an element of etch primer in it, do you think this may be suitable as an undercoat? Or any other ideas appreciated.
Vikki(uk) :thumb:

I once painted an aluminum block with red cheap spraypaint, withouth any primers. As I recall, it stuck to it good. But if I painted a panel today, I would spray it with an ordinary primer first.

vikki

I use an hammerite special metals primer that is applied with a brush, that I think I got from B&Q. It takes a bit of prepping to get it smooth (cos it's not a spray), but works realy well. It may be possible to get it as a spray !

Right thanks.....
I think i have some two part etch primer from when i had my car painted..i seem to recall that finished in a yellow green colour. I've looked at the Hammerite many times, i have seen some sprays i'll have a look.
The other finish i notice on some panels is like a swirl effect is that done with some sort of tool in a drill press?

[quote author="Vikki"]The other finish i notice on some panels is like a swirl effect is that done with some sort of tool in a drill press?
Vikki(uk) :thumb:[/quote]
Done this many times... cover a piece of Dowel with Emery cloth and run it on low-ish speed. I've done it with a hand-drill rather than a press, and it's turned out nicely!

Keith

I've had no problems applying primer and paint to aluminum panels and chassis when I first gave them a good roughing-up with fine-grit sandpaper. I follow the sanding by a wipe-down with 99% isopropyl alcohol, then apply the first coat of primer after the panel is completely dry.

HERE are two small chassis I painted with Rustoleum primer and hammertone paint.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]HERE are two small chassis I painted with Rustoleum primer and hammertone paint.[/quote]

:thumb:
It’s the type of vintage paint I like. I’ll give it a try.

A soft-etched,imitation anodized finish may be produced on aluminum by dipping it in a solution of 1 tablespoon or more of lye to a pint of water. To color the aluminum,then dip it in a solution of household dye. I have'nt seen it around in years, but you may recall seeing a light blue almost teal and transparent looking effect using this method on various manufactured items. K2

NYD Chassis looks great, just as a matter of interest does Hammerite really take 8 months to completely dry (i read somewhere)?
Thanks Keith i always wondered how they did the swirl thing
Thanks everyone.

Hiya Vikki,

Pretty much the same as the rest of the chaps,
rub down with fine grade wet'n'dry, clean with isopropyl / armaclean :shock: , etc
fine coat of primer, into low oven 80 deg, for a couple of mins, then spray with hammerite, wait to cool down,

I do the acid then the paint

Sorted :grin:

Steve :thumb:

Just saw the words "Zinc Chromate"...... I was told (20 years ago) this stuff was gonna be banned coz it can make ya seriously sick.....

In the US (I know you're in the UK) self-etching primer can be purchased in the spray paint section of many automotive parts stores. Maybe there too?

Here's a stompbox pictorial from the DIYS site. If you scroll down, you can also see the t-shirt transfer approach.

Back