Source for shiny blue electros?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hejsan

Where do people get the shiny blue electros that are so common in old british stuff?
I've seen pictures here of recapped units that have these electros, so I'm guessing they must be still available.

Thanks,
hejsan

It sounds like you are indeed talking about the BC caps. BC is now owned by Vishay, so they are often refered to as Vishay/BC. The ASM 021 series are very nice and I've used them in all my new and orginal Neve Cards.

Hope that helps.

Matt

Thanks a bunch, now my gear's innards can look more funky! :green:

Can anyone describe their soundquality and overall quality compared to, say nichihicon HE, which I understand is quite clear, or panasonic FC , which I understand is mid-scooped?

Thanks,
hejsan

You either mean the Phillips clear lte blue shrink wrap or are you talking about the LCR multi sec6tion cans on the Marshalls?

You can get tehm at tubesandmore.com

or used to be able to.

Caps are so circuit dependent, I don't think anybody would be able to answer that sort of question without hearing them in the particular circuit that you plan to use them in. I've used the BC caps in API circuits before, and they sound very good. They're fairly cheap to try. I'd order all three of the makes that you mention, and try them all...

Thanks people.

Hey, since matta mentioned ASM 021 series, I got kinda fixated on that particular series, but they don't seem to be very available in different voltage rating at either mouser or digikey.

Are there other series of BC that I should look for, or are these the only beesknees?

We just ordered these at work to do some neve recap work on our VR.
Might be what your looking for. Series AML138 By BC/vishay componants.

Those have tempture tolorances(sp?) up to 105 degrees which works for a VR as the original ones rated at 85 degrees failed to due tempture under the hood....

Yes, I've used the BCs, the AML 138, the ones I think Pucho mentioned, in Neve recaps and they sound pretty much exactly, in that circuit, like the original old caps that they replaced. If you don't want any new character, then go with those. I also tried Nichicons, several kinds, and they sounded different, maybe more musical, maybe sweeter, smoother, or more open... I also tried Black Gates which sounded very clear, clearest of all. I also tried Panasonic FC and they sounded hi-fi, brighter than the Nichicons, a clear top end, bright, maybe too bright. The BCs were my least favorite and were expensive. But they all sound fine. That's what I heard in a 1272.

Back