Anyone live in or around Basel Switzerland ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okgb

Moderator , don't where to post this ?

I'll be in Basil Dec 7 to 16 on a t.v. gig , may not have any time off but
recomendations on sites or anything ?

please email as i can't get pms from my main computer

tia , regards Greg

Basel is a nice little city which also happens to border on France and Germany. I don't believe there is too much going on in terms of clubs and live music. Doubtless some, but not much. We do have some Swiss members, I'll let them speak up if they choose. I don't know of any members living in Basel per se, so they may not have any specific tips. If you are short on time, you'll probably just have to get out and explore. Ask the locals during your gig. That's always the best. They'll even be able to give you directions. Having a car in Basel helps, if where you're going is not downtown as it's a little spread out and trams may not help. Or take a cab.

If you want to do some nice sightseen try to visit Freiburg in Germany. It´s around 40 miles away, has a very nice downtown (app 1000years old) and the famous Münster out of 12th century. The Jazzhaus is a liveclub with some international acts playing there. More local scene is in the Crash (if it still exists- they have Punk, Rock, Hardcore...). There´s a little Pub which is called Swamp which is a visit worth. They have sometimes livemusic: Surf, Beat, Lounge, DJs.

In the other direction you have Zürich, Samuel Groners hometown, where is surely more happening than in Basel. Try to ask him about the possibilities over there.

Are you in Basel for the AWO sessions?

:guinness:

ah, the Crash - twenty years ago I spend more time there than in school :twisted:
remember some great wave / gothic parties in Basel from that time, too :green:
(nice people there)

It's been years since I was in switzerland. If you like art museums check out the Tinguely Museum. Jean Tinguely created kinetic art using junk and bones. He used motors in alot of works, some were activated by motion sensors, some on timers. There was even a farm tractor with all kinds of bells and noise makers, They didn't run it when I was there, but it must make a racket. I was amazed that he was doing this in the '30s.

thanks for the replies great ideas so far , it'd be cool just to meet someone for a coffee and see what others in the group are doing if anyone happened to be close [ don't think i have much " good " junk to bring for anyone ] and i may not get much time off , original bands are
always fun but i avoid clubs since i got divorced hah !

there was an Oppenhiem exhibit some years ago with sounds , smells
& visual , very active for the senses if anyone ever sees it

take care & thanks again , regards Greg

[quote author="walter"]It's been years since I was in switzerland. If you like art museums check out the Tinguely Museum. Jean Tinguely created kinetic art using junk and bones. He used motors in alot of works, some were activated by motion sensors, some on timers. There was even a farm tractor with all kinds of bells and noise makers, They didn't run it when I was there, but it must make a racket. I was amazed that he was doing this in the '30s.[/quote]:thumb:

I'm living in Basel at the moment, assisting in a studio, but working all day so I didn't have time to check out the city yet. I guess there is a lot of interesting art exhibitions and stuff, but not so much for music. Make the trip to Freiburg, it is a nice little city and really close! Though there is another Forum member who works in this studio, who has been living here for a couple of years, maybe he can give some good tips...

cheers, Marten

And make sure you leave the airport via the right exit
I worked there about 4 years back - and one of my collegues took the wrong exit and ended up int he wrong country
(I know it's a three country airport - but it's a good story)

The go f***g mad at Easter time I think - dressing up in big heads and 18 century threads and going mad (we joined in - one of my mates was shouted at for trying to drive a tram car away)
ALthough the streets were totally clean the next day
And the best place I found to eat was a Argentinian Steak House near the big bridge going over the river

Back