making a (not so) random "muter".

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammas

something crazy. I want to build a device that follows BPM to randomly mutes audio signals in a musical way. I was thinking it needs two controllable parameters, one being BPM that can sync to the music (via midi or whatever other means) and periodicty. Periodicity I guess could just be a BPM multipler/divider that varies the intensity of the mutes in time with the music.

Does such a thing exist? I suspect one could be made in a similar way to a gate. Like a randomly alternativing control voltage triggering a VCA to switch between open and shut off. A vca would be the way to go, right? Using a relay would probably result in audible clicking.

Any tips? I suspect the guys at Ucapps might have a trick or two up there sleeves so I'll ask over there too.

Check the various analog synth sites for sample and hold circuits. You can feed any varying signal into the S/H and trigger from midi, clock, or whatever. Output is then fed to a nice VCA to modulate the audio like you want. You could also make a syncable LFO for beat freq modulation effects, etc. Knock yourself out...

A P

Latest posts

Back