Fairchild 670 came into the shop today...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am reminded of a time a couple of years ago that I was down visiting my mom-in-law when I called up a gear dude I had at that point only spoken with on the phone (name witheld in case he wouldn't want me to broadcast this to the world) to see if I could drop by his place and kill some time. Nice guy.

I had never been to his house before (has a studio in the basement) and it turns out that he has, without a doubt, the most obscene collection of vintage recording gear I have ever witnessed in person.

I sat down in front of his custom Neve 8014 (two 8014's joined, fully loaded with 32 1084 modules) and turned around to see TWO Fairchild 670's in his rack! I had never actually seen one at that point, much less two in the same rack.

They were next to 5 Pultec EQP-1A's, some Lang's, blackface 1176's, Neve germainium modules, and RCA broadcast tube console (on top of the rack), some LA-2A's (early meters), a rack of Allotrope preamp/eq's, and lots of other bits I don't remember right now. He also had a 16-channel Helios console to the right of the Neve for his 'sidecar'.

His vintage mic collection is literally everything I could think of (several of most models) including U47's, U67's, U87's, C12, ELAM 250 and 251, KM5x's, FET47's, M49's, M50's, C12A's, 44BX, 77D and DX, KU-3A, Altec Coke Bottles, etc... He has a room with one wall built out with display shelves behind glass --an entire wall on one side where he keeps all of these locked away. The whole wall, nothing but mics and psu's.

Oh, and his instruments... FOUR Mellotrons (I had never seen one till this point), a Harmony organ (the same model used on 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds'), Hammond A100, on and on.

Incredible. I really should go back and get pictures some time, if he'd let me.

Hmmm.... I'm gonna be down in that neck of the woods next week....

JC

This thing doesn't look to difficult to build, if this box will be available in the future:
cj2.jpg

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green: :green:

That's a kit to build a plug-in transformer...
Hey, thats a great idea, transformers as plugins. With a click you could change between Triad, UTC, Lundall, Chicago and so on..
:grin:
jo

[quote author="rascalseven"]I am reminded of a time a couple of years ago that I was down visiting my mom-in-law when I called up a gear dude I had at that point only spoken with on the phone (name witheld in case he wouldn't want me to broadcast this to the world) to see if I could drop by his place and kill some time. Nice guy.

I had never been to his house before (has a studio in the basement) and it turns out that he has, without a doubt, the most obscene collection of vintage recording gear I have ever witnessed in person.

I sat down in front of his custom Neve 8014 (two 8014's joined, fully loaded with 32 1084 modules) and turned around to see TWO Fairchild 670's in his rack! I had never actually seen one at that point, much less two in the same rack.

They were next to 5 Pultec EQP-1A's, some Lang's, blackface 1176's, Neve germainium modules, and RCA broadcast tube console (on top of the rack), some LA-2A's (early meters), a rack of Allotrope preamp/eq's, and lots of other bits I don't remember right now. He also had a 16-channel Helios console to the right of the Neve for his 'sidecar'.

His vintage mic collection is literally everything I could think of (several of most models) including U47's, U67's, U87's, C12, ELAM 250 and 251, KM5x's, FET47's, M49's, M50's, C12A's, 44BX, 77D and DX, KU-3A, Altec Coke Bottles, etc... He has a room with one wall built out with display shelves behind glass --an entire wall on one side where he keeps all of these locked away. The whole wall, nothing but mics and psu's.

Oh, and his instruments... FOUR Mellotrons (I had never seen one till this point), a Harmony organ (the same model used on 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds'), Hammond A100, on and on.

Incredible. I really should go back and get pictures some time, if he'd let me.

Hmmm.... I'm gonna be down in that neck of the woods next week....

JC[/quote]

jc,
where in tx are you at? you/this guy anywhere around houston?

*sorry for thread hijack*

props on the pics. thing is SICK!

I will put up a 660/670 page, I have the Boboski stuff, the Fletcher stuff, the Jahnsen stuff, the Helmholtz stuff, the Barkensphincter stuff, the Krappenpiss write up, the whole 11 yards.

Latest posts

Back