Mic output transformers...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSLtech

I need to build a few (note: a few!) microphones. All of them need to be pretty closely matched -if that matters to the question which I'm about to ask...

If I were to build a KM84 type circuit, what would be a good output transformer to use for the (originally listed as 7:1) step-down output transformer?

Or could I wind my own, and if so, would a respected member of the community such as our resident hacksaw fiend assist with how to go about getting the metals, bobbins, etc.?

Thanks,

Keith

Read the METAs! :grin:

Check CineMag for a reasonably priced US-made part. Just call or email and they'll answer your questions and provide a quote. Email sometimes takes them a couple of days (possibly longer with the holiday next week).

A P

Okay,

I found the group buy here...

-I keep getting distracted here at home, couldn't readily figure out the number for that particular transformer combination that you mentioned...

How long approximately would this group buy take, also what are the sizes... -I have to be able to fit 4 of them inside a single mic body...

I'm thinking the subminiature xfmr case, NOT PCB pin mounted (for handling/robustness reasons) probably stud/screw mounted with flying leads...

Keith

I like to use the LL1636 wired 10:1 with km84 type circuits.
And a fairchild(national semiconductor) Process 50 fet.

Howsabout the beyer 3.51.0.07.004? That would be perfect if you want 7:1 and screw mount with flying leads, 200 ohm output.

I was hoping to grab a couple of these, but we'll see if I have any money before the group buy ends.

[quote author="SSLtech"]also what are the sizes... -I have to be able to fit 4 of them inside a single mic body... [/quote]

beyer_size.GIF

Building your own Soundfield now, eh? :razz:

I've had very good results with the Beyer 1:10 mic input transformers reversed.

For a very-clean trafo - but considerably larger - Lundahl LL1530, 1:7

Jakob E.

[quote author="gyraf"]Building your own Soundfield now, eh? :razz:[/quote]
Em...

Errr...

Well, not exactly...

-You'll have to wait and see. Yes, it's planned to be a clever mic rather like the soundfield, yes there are four capsules, but it's not a soundfield as such, and there'll be no tetrahedral array. Some of the math will be similar, but then the Sondfield once you get out of tetrahedral 'A-format' is just fundamental, rather simple stuff... though a lot of people are scared of it... -I know I was rather apprehensive until I discovered just how stunningly basic it actually was once you got past the tetrahedral stage...

So I won't announce anything until it takes shape... then we'll all see how it turns out.

Keith

Back