Need advice on best Vocal Radio Mic for least money.........

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

Hi folks I am a singer I sing for my living I enjoy it and im always looking for ways to improve my sound, I currently use a Shure Beta87 mic on a LX2 VHF system single channel.The mic is gettin bit tatty so I was gonna upgrade...

Heres what I need, most of all best sound possible for the money, was lookin at the new KSM9 condenser mic from Shure, not that I dont like the Beta 87 but I understand its a superior mic ...however these are very expensive but.......also available as a screw on capsule,still expensive but possibly worth it to me..

I dont need multi channels or infa red auto set up, dont need 19 in rack mount or digital displays just want good sound !!!!!.

Heres where I need technical sound engineer type advice I no the KSM9 capsule will work on the following systems but.....will the cheaper systems degrade the nice capsules sound?????????????

Iv bin reading the specs of various systems but im not techy enough,
Im wondering ..hoping the PGX systems will be good enough, they are cheap at thomann you see, they dont have as many bells and whistles as the more expensive ones but that dont matter, but will the sound suffer?????????

The PGX systems have shures audio refference companding like the dearer models ...is it too good to be true that I can screw on a £500 capsule onto a £217 transmitter and reciever and get a similar sound to the top systems...heres a link to the systems specs if anyone would like to have a read.

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Downloads/UserGuidesAndTechSpecs/index.htm?ssProductCategory=Wireless%20Systems&region3_element5_NextRow=76

I know I could simply use a wired mic or buy the KSM9 capsule and screw it onto my existing transmitter,but would be nice if this set up im on about works well for only £700 ish...Thanks for your time guys

Gary O.

I just went in to the back and screwed the KSM9 capsule on to a PGX system, and it does fit. The PGX will supply phantom to the capsule, so operation should be fine. As for sound quality, I would suggest nothing lower than the SLX systems. We have had several complaints from PGX users of audio distortion under higher SPL's. Whether this will be a problem with you, who knows? Other than that, the PGX's have been pretty solid.

Cheers,
Zach

Thanks zach so yr saying works fine but sound thru SLX system is better, im just using mic for lead vocals myself...how bad is this overloading and is it a fault.

Many thanks Zach...............Gary O.

I honestly haven't heard them overload my self, so I couldn't tell you. I have heard complaints from customers, and the regional Shure reps know about it as well. When our company asked the reps about this distortion issue, they said, "What do you expect for that price?"

Basically, I would not use the PGX for any serious performing. They just aren't built for heavy stage use. They are great for the weekend warrior, church group, relief society, etc..... Just not for critical stage use. One thing you could do is, buy one under the understanding that you can return it if you don't like it. Then, if it doesn't work for you, return it and get the SLX.

Cheers,
Zach

Zach thanks so much for your thoughts ...very helpful, bit of a crappy attitude from the Shure guys saying what do you expect for the money, maybe they should put that in the advertising blurb for this system if you go by that like I have to these systems are wonderful.
I am just a 1 man band I do about 3 gigs a week for my living small ish clubs so I might get away with the less sturdiness or the PGX, like I said I just want good sound for least buck.
Yeah I could get the 2 systems from Thommann and send back the 1 I dont want....thanks once again

Gary O.

Latest posts

Back