Tonelux and Paul Wolff

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundguy

Anyone knwo what this is all about???

http://www.tonelux.com/index.html

Is Paul Wolff no longer affiliated with API? will those EQ's fit in an API lunchbox? Those things look COMPLETELY BADASS and wildly affordable, and if paul wolff designed them, I bet they are completely awesome. Two pairs of identical bands. Paul Wolff, thank you for doing that! I dont know why that hasnt been done before, or at least Im not aware of anything out there like that. I cant wait to hear those things!

Anyone in SF going to AES? I gotsta find out more about this...

dave

posted too soon, answers to all my questions and many more are here:

make sure to read the cool info on page five-

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?s=a14dfcb13979ffc0ef36e3489481b435&threadid=17684&perpage=15&highlight=tonelux&pagenumber=1http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?s=a14dfcb13979ffc0ef36e3489481b435&threadid=17684&perpage=15&highlight=tonelux&pagenumber=1

and

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?s=a14dfcb13979ffc0ef36e3489481b435&threadid=19242&highlight=tonelux

there are some particularly relevant insights into the nastineness of commercial cloning which is great to see from Paul Wolff himself. After reading his thoughts, the idea of keeping the lab non commercial really hits home and has me, for half a second, second guessing my criticism of selling pcb's in the past. Im still too lazy/incompetent to etch my own, but after seeing our boards up on ebay, makes one think twice...

anyway, lots of good info. I wish paul would post here but perhaps the nature of what the majority of guys here are fixated on might not be his cup of tea.

dave

So much that one could say here. :roll:
It's clear that a few of us are not on Paul's Christmas card list.
We also know Paul does shoot from the hip and does shoot early.

Tonelux is not so new news but yes, I guess it is new enough and now you have a name to hang the rumours on.

Our friend Paul W is trying to earn a quid so it is best to leave him to do that. In his defence he has made modular gear for a very long time now and much of it has been very good so I'm sure what ever you can get from his new company will find a home in your studios.

You can find a couple of threads at Gearslutz where he does have a go at cloners and in particular the Crap Cloners. I do agree with him but just don't see that he needs to give the attitude as often as he does.

"The EQ4P is a DISCRETE Parametric Equalizer with some very unique features. Notice that the panel has no Q control. The filter Q control is in relation to the Boost and Cut control, and uses a "Constant Energy Curve" that keeps the bandwidth wider at lower boost or cut levels and becomes narrow at higher boost or cut levels. This is musically pleasing."

Parametric eq without bandwidth (Q) control... Well that's a new way of saying "sweep frequency eq" I guess.

And the song and dance about 'constant energy curve' - yes this is correct but it is damn hard not to get an eq to act that way. Just about every sweep eq works this way. Not hard to do and like Mr Wolff says - "musically pleasing".

I'm pleased to see Mr Wolff out on his own. Should make for some interesting products (and politics!).

I think that's just his way of saying the filters function just like the filters in the 550, and then offers another mode of operation as well in the same unit.

It's pretty cool idea, I think.

JC

Is there going to be specs on each module or will he follow in the foot steps of API meaning none ...... :roll:

API has been hurting for some time know I was wondering when it was going to change hands again. Also, my experience with Paul Wolff has always left a bad taste in my mouth with his ego and other practices..... :twisted:

[quote author="cuelist"]

Parametric eq without bandwidth (Q) control... Well that's a new way of saying "sweep frequency eq" I guess.
[/quote]

this is not exact: it means more db boost/cut at a selected frequencys more sharp the Q bell become.
the right name is : proportional EQ

[quote author="mik"]this is not exact: it means more db boost/cut at a selected frequencys more sharp the Q bell become.
the right name is : proportional EQ[/quote]

1). I was under the impression that parametric eq was defined by having separate and indipendent control of frequency, boost/cut and bandwidth (Q). If that is the definition - then if you don't have independent control of Q/bandwidth, then it is not a parametric eq.

2). The "bell" of the boost cut or cut will get sharper the more you apply boost or cut. This is the way any normal eq works. The alternative is constant-q eq that is used in room eq applications.

I was under the impression that parametric eq was defined by having separate and indipendent control of frequency, boost/cut and bandwidth (Q). If that is the definition - then if you don't have independent control of Q/bandwidth, then it is not a parametric eq.

I belive you are quite right in that regard. George Massenburg was the one who invented the parametric eq definition as we have come to know it today. I belive he wrote a AES paper in 1972 on this *S*

Kind regards

Peter

P.S..Btw..any change of a edit of the above posted links...its getting rather a bore when one has buy a 22" or bigger screen to read the posting

Back