Another tube preamp/lineamp circuit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would you want to do that? You'll just be wasting power in the resistors.

If this is to power my circuit, just use the transformer with a full-wave centertap rectifier. With a capacitor-input filter, that'll give you approx. 380V B+, which can be dropped to the desired final value through a couple of stages of R-C filters.

http://www.atc-frost.com/products/design/va.htm#FWCT

A short reflection from the recording scene; I recorded for the national radio SR a concert at a local club KB in Malmoe, with Martha Wainwrright with band.She sang in to a Shure beta58 wich were their soundman´s requiest. We splitted the signal via a LL 1527. The direct signal went to the NY-Dave preamp via 50m Mogami-cable and the other to a BSS-split, wich came in to the van on another line.That cable was longer.
We put the signals, gained them equally, and feeded our SSL 4000 G+. And the differences was big,a little to big in our taste. The signal thrue the Tube-amp was warm and with a big breath on the top.
Of course you cant really make a fair A/B
test with this becouse there are to many different parameters on the way.
The split, different cable,the SSL preamp... but it was nice to get a blended character of her voice. So you guys, it pays off to DIY.
Thanks again to NY-Dave & PRR.
Cheers Bo

Bo: Which circuit did you build, the one with global feedback, or the one with the gain control between the stages? Were you using a different output tube type as you mentioned earlier in the thread? Any other modifications?

Hey I´ve used the E88CC on both places.
I´ts the "PREAMP/LINE AMP from sept. 04" the one without feedback.
Havent loaded the output down to 600 ohms, but nearby 2k ohms.
The R8 I changed to about 900 ohms, I actually put 500ohm pot. in series with 470ohms. R7 is also raised to 330 ohms. That gave me about 7 mA
flowing down the output tube. I also as you recommended biased the filament to about halfed (+53V) the voltage of the output.
At cathode V1A the dc is 3.0V ,that gives you +7dBu max input.
Input Tx 1:4 is Mr.Schou, this one is a favourite and sufficient enough to fill my noisespecs. It´s compensated with 24k+470pF. The output Tx is an Altec 15356 wired backwards. 2:1( no comp.)
I also put in 4M7ohm resistor from gate V1B to ground, it helped to get rid
off scratch from VR1. I cant give you any THD specs but there is level
enough at the output to feed any equipment,around me beyond +26dBu.
Cheers Bo

Hey Guy´s, I just want to put in some load results of my E88CC type
of NY-D amp. It actually got down to half of the output swing at 1kHz
(square)at 188 ohms load. At 600 ohms load it whent down under 1 dB, versus 10kohm load, at 100 , 1k & 10 kHz.
The maximum output is about +24dBu at 600 ohms load.
I have read that this tube is perhaps not the best one to choose
as WCF in loads of under 5 kohm (primary load).But lets say that those 10,000 of livinghours is cut down to half, then...
I bring you all a new report in 3 years time!! My calculation of 200 recording days, 8 hour a day ( Thats a lot of soundwaves).
Until then, A happy new DIY Year to You all.
Cheers Bo :grin:

I'm using the 12bh7A on the back end of a 12ax7 circuit (basically a fender twin preamp and tone circuit, which isn't much different than daves 12av7. where i'm connecting the 2 circuits, the output of the 12ax7 is identical.

its at the junction of the 100k from b+, pin 6.

I have a few oscillations when i crank up the volume pot (also between stages as in the NYDLA) , but some changes to the layout have helped.
I only had a 600-600 out trafo, so maybe that was a problem as well, changing this later today, I have a 2k to 600, which should be ideal.

it sounds great at the lower gains though, and is very quiet.

I have a question though,

I don't have a center tap on my heater trafo, but i do have a hum balance pot in place. so I sort of have a ground referenced heater supply, in this case would I need the heater bias circuit that was suggested?

Thanks
Kelly

Hi Sleeper, I´m not sure following your set up with the guitarr-amp. But..
When I look in my "Taschenbuch" from Telefunken 1968 it tells of the
ECC83 that it can handle 180V (f/k) in difference between filament/cathode.This is maximum rating. I cant tell about the 12BH7 but search at TDSL.
Cheers Bo

just to clarify that one.
it's not the whole amp, just the first tube in a fender,
like this

1 gain stage +tone and volume control +gain stage+daves 12bh7 stage.

sleeper

Latest posts

Back