Tascam M-35 Help

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frob

im looking for all the info i can get on the Tascam M-35, ive found a block diagram and "ine diagram"?) though no schematics yet if any of you can help please do.

I have an M35 laying around somewhere in my mess.. Dont know if it works. I havent touched it in ages. I can open it up and look around if you find schematics and help identify parts.. Why are you intersted in the m35 anyhow?

-Jay

ive got one myself i was looking to see if there is a mod or two that is known. i think it sound okay and if you use it for an sm57 at a distance with a good condencer in close going thourgh a good clean pre you get a cool sound if mixed properly. i wasn wandering if there was mabey a faster pre IC i could swich in and add a phantom power to it also it has eight pres so if i could get a couple of extra flavors out of them by moding them and then using the other eight(bus faders) as a couple of home brew DIY pres then i would have all the pres i would need for a while.

I have a similar model, the M-30, which I bought cheap in good condition with an eye toward modding. But it's been sitting in storage for a year now and I'll probably end up just reselling it. Too many projects and not enough time...

Anyway, if the M-35 is anything at all like the M-30, you could probably improve the crosstalk specs by altering the grounding arrangement. In the M-30, the ground buss is run though a ribbon cable from card to card. If the ground points on each card were instead run individually back to the common point at the power supply, I wouldn't be surprised if the crosstalk was improved by several dB over the quoted -60dB figure.

> i wasn wandering if there was mabey a faster pre IC i could swich in and add a phantom power to it

I would not mess with the opamps. The Model-3x were designed around the 4559, and it is a very sweet fit. Other opamps won't sound significantly different, and may require more bypassing.

Overall, I like the Model 35 a lot. It was scaled to lower levels than "Pro" stuff, so it never strains. If you want "color", look elsewhere.

The only stage I would consider changing is the master output: that last amp before the Master Out can be asked to run at higher level than the 4559 can handle with ease. Of course if you are not using the master output, that is moot.

Phantom power network can be wired at the MIC jacks. There is no source of 48V in these boards so you will have to be clever.

what if i switched out some of the trannys. one thing i do need to do is raise the input for a ribbon on two of the chanells. but i do like the sound of the pres i just gont need eight of them.

> raise the input for a ribbon on two of the chanells. but i do like the sound of the pres i just gont need eight of them.

Run the Send Out (don't lose the jack-jumper) of one channel-strip into the Line In on another channel-strip. Take output from that second channel-strip. You get about 26dB more gain than a single channel-strip.

The rated noise level in the old TASCAMs is not super-low, about 0.56uV or several dB higher than the self-noise of a ribbon in a silent room. Possibly around 25dB SPL, a very quiet studio.

Don't ask these TASCAMs to make +4dBm. Go ahead and crank-up the gain on your recorder so the TASCAM does not have to strain.

I like these boards as boards. But as a mike-amp, I think it would be better to use one of the $99-$999 boxes on the market than to go cutting up a classic workhorse.

PRR said:
> i wasn wandering if there was mabey a faster pre IC i could swich in and add a phantom power to it

I would not mess with the opamps. The Model-3x were designed around the 4559, and it is a very sweet fit. Other opamps won't sound significantly different, and may require more bypassing.

The only stage I would consider changing is the master output: that last amp before the Master Out can be asked to run at higher level than the 4559 can handle with ease. Of course if you are not using the master output, that is moot.

OK, extremely old topic, but I'm hoping you might be able to give a bit more info on this swap. 

I believe you are referring to IC7.  Any suggestions for an upgrade here? 

Do both the control room and studio feed outputs run off if this amp?

Any other info you might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated, I've also taken some notes from a thread in the Teac Model 5.

Really love my M35!

Latest posts

Back