Neutrik NTE4 in nyd's reamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr nEon

Hi all!

I am looking to quickly put together an nyd reamp , hopefully to use on a session next week . It seems that the jensen/edcor transformers are pretty hard to track down in the uk , and I came across this neutrik , which cpc are selling for around £10 . I could have one within a couple of days.

It is listed as primary 200R . Source/load impedance 200/10K .

Could I use this "in reverse" as it were...in place of nyd's 10k/150 transformer. Or am I missing something?

Cheers y'all!

nEon x.

Here's a variation on the circuit which might work better with that transformer.

Build a balanced "U" pad with 4.7K series resistors and a 220-ohm shunt resistor. Follow this with the transformer wired for 200:200, then the "output Z" pot. (Omit the level pot).

The U-pad presents a load impedance of about 10K to the line-level source, a source impedance of ~200 ohms to the transformer, and a signal attenuation of 34dB. This should be adequate to keep the transformer from saturating. But if it's not, increase the series resistors to 10K (for 40dB attenuation).

Conversely, if you want less attenuation, you can reduce the series resistors accordingly, down to about 1K or so. (Less than that might be too low of an impedance for your line amplifier to drive, depending on its design).

Latest posts

Back