super ghetto passive eq sections!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigmorris74

GDIY Supporter
You've thought you might have seen the most ghetto pieces in prodigy pro history, but you were wrong. I've constructed an EQP-1 style passive filter section and another box with the MEQ mid cut section. The EQP-1 uses the Cinemag Pultec inductor. The MEQ uses the Sowter MEQ inductor. Both units use Edcor input and output transformers. The output is 150 ohms so that I can use different mic pres for make up gain. I'll apologize up front for the pic quality, sloppy wiring, crap second hand cases, and sorry metal work (notice the attention to detail on the pot shafts, and if you could only see the top of the EQP-1, I had to cut ugly holes in the top so the Edcors could fit.
front and inside of PEQ1:
fronteqp1.jpg

insideeqp1.jpg

front and iside of mid cut:
frontmeq1.jpg

insidemeq1.jpg

insidemeq12.jpg

Thanks to assistance from NYDave, PRR, and everyone here who've answered my questions regarding these things.

Craig

Wow. Those aren't very... ummm... pretty. But dammit, you built something! I haven't been able to say that for myself for quite some time. They do what you need them to do, so my hat is off. But don't take offense if I cover my eyes. :razz:

That D12-mentioning is of course an obvious case of spotting an item not related to the thread-topic on a posted DIY pic - as we've seen happen here many times before.
Why this is done I don't know...

So good to hear there was a relation to the EQ !

Interesting to see you're using the Edcor-TXs. I should try these as wellon the G-Pultec

Cool! I like seeing the "funky looking" stuff sometimes. I'm in the beginning stages of racking some Sound Workshop pre and eq cards, and I'm planning on trying to do the painting and silkscreening to match the kinda drab yucky colors used in the original.

[quote author="clintrubber"]That D12-mentioning is of course an obvious case of spotting an item not related to the thread-topic on a posted DIY pic - as we've seen happen here many times before.
Why this is done I don't know...[/quote]

I've been guilty of that myself a few times.... Hey is that a telecaster headstock? :razz:

Back on topic, I LOVE utilitarian gear. Lately I'm into just raw aluminum and sharpie labelling. You should see my PM1000 rack job... yikes! Good sound is endlessly more important than good looks.

So how does that wooden stool sound through the D12 and your new EQ?

I also like the fake edison socket so it looks like its plugged in. You need to put a blue LED on the front; that will snazz things up mighty quick!

Birds of a feather! I love my super ghetto pieces...as long as they don't hum or shock...makes for interseting conversations with people who come to the studio.."Dude...you built that? that sounds awesome...."

Ray

Beautyfull!
How much are the cinemag inductors?

Isn't that a grey carpet? I had a grey carpet once. Excellent for walking on, but a bit to depressing for long term use.

:thumb:
hejsan

.."Dude...you built that? that sounds awesome...."

I like the sound of..."Why don't you buy some decent gear?".........from a singer...... usually female.....(sorry Kiira, Vicki et al but it's true). :green:

[/quote]I like the sound of..."Why don't you buy some decent gear?".........from a singer...... usually female.....(sorry Kiira, Vicki et al but it's true).

One of the many good reasons for not doing it for a living..

"Madame, feel free to record at another studio"

They usually come back from the local studio with crappy tracks (or whole mixes) and ask me to fix it...

:green:

Ray

Latest posts

Back