Analog summing mixer for DAW project???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="andre tchmil"]Look at this projext .

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=12979&start=15

I still have a PCB with the Lundhalls available :thumb:[/quote]

NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

AWESOME WORK!!! :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

[quote author="capnspoony"]Don't be sad NYD

I love your passive mixer!

& your passive eq....

I'm sure I'll love many other projects you have posted on this form

:razz:[/quote]

Again, no slight against NYD, he's one of the good guys. It's just not what I'm looking for. Sorry for any inconvenience.

[quote author="matta"]What is a mixer? Does it make noisesssses? Will it make my recordings sound better, I'm a noob and don't know how this all works?

Sorry... I couldn't resist :green:

Matt[/quote]

A mixer is what professionals used to use to make hit records before DAWs came along. It probably won't make *your* recordings sound any better. If you're a noob, you should use the search engine on this site to find the metas and read all of them. Then you'll be qualified to harass other users when they ask sincere questions.

No problem, I was just amused by the choice of words... "Simple." I guess it is simple when you're just building off a schematic. But much of what I've seen on the web indicates that most (including some "audio gurus") are pretty clueless when it comes to designing these "simple" networks properly. The devil's in the details, as many are fond of saying.

Check out the "Line Mixer (Active)" thread on the Drawing Board for an active mixer design that's currently evolving. Balanced I/O, if desired, is added easily enough with transformers.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]No problem, I was just amused by the choice of words... "Simple." I guess it is simple when you're just building off a schematic. But much of what I've seen on the web indicates that most (including some "audio gurus") are pretty clueless when it comes to designing these "simple" networks properly. The devil's in the details, as many are fond of saying.

Check out the "Line Mixer (Active)" thread on the Drawing Board for an active mixer design that's currently evolving. Balanced I/O, if desired, is added easily enough with transformers.[/quote]

Sounds like you've been hanging around rec.audio.pro too much. :grin: Yeah, I guess "simple" was not a good choice. Too many people equate "simple" and "easy". I was thinking of a designing a passive summing mixer around a single transformer with 24 primary windings and a single secondary winding - a perfect example of the difference between "simple" and "easy". :wink:

[quote author="joe-electro"][quote author="matta"]What is a mixer? Does it make noisesssses? Will it make my recordings sound better, I'm a noob and don't know how this all works?

Matt[/quote]

A mixer is what professionals used to use to make hit records before DAWs came along. It probably won't make *your* recordings sound any better. If you're a noob, you should use the search engine on this site to find the metas and read all of them. Then you'll be qualified to harass other users when they ask sincere questions.[/quote]

Maybe you don't realize how you are coming off here, but it's not particularly nice. If you'd bothered to click on Matt's web link in his sig line you would know that he's far from a recording noob (the green smiley at the end of his post should have been a clue). Complaining about the organization around here is like whining about a free lunch. What organization there is has been created by people volunteering their valuable time. Should we apologize for all the information that is available here?

As for your desire for a challenge, maybe you should try designing something completely from scratch. Building a pregurgitated kit with BOM, schematic, pcb, and pretty instructions isn't particulary difficult even for a large project. Many of the projects discussed here require some footwork and study on the part of the builder--even ones with readily available pcbs. And finally, complexity just does not correlate to professional quality.

A P

A mixer is what professionals used to use to make hit records before DAWs came along. It probably won't make *your* recordings sound any better. If you're a noob, you should use the search engine on this site to find the metas and read all of them. Then you'll be qualified to harass other users when they ask sincere questions.

You don't say! So you mean that is what the Neve and SSL's do when I'm using them to make hit records! Amazing! :green:

The noob comment was a joke as AP pointed out, I'm pretty aware of the META's since I moderate one of them (The Green Pre Meta) and if you bother to check my posts will see how much or little I know... here are just a few of my 'noob' projects: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=19597
Not quite a passive mixer, but fairly challenging with the mods and additions I've added.

I feel with my credentials I'm more than qualified to harass other users :green:

By the way it is very out of character for me, I was just in a playful mood and used emoticons to illustrate such, but it seems in your constant searching our 'inept' site the humour went over your head :?

Matt

lil' Matta turned into a hungry DIY Matta ..

I can only hope to learn as fast as Matta

I'm about to embark on my 4 pack of 1272's

your's look great.

-richie

[quote author="AnalogPackrat"][quote author="joe-electro"][quote author="matta"]What is a mixer? Does it make noisesssses? Will it make my recordings sound better, I'm a noob and don't know how this all works?

Matt[/quote]

A mixer is what professionals used to use to make hit records before DAWs came along. It probably won't make *your* recordings sound any better. If you're a noob, you should use the search engine on this site to find the metas and read all of them. Then you'll be qualified to harass other users when they ask sincere questions.[/quote]

Maybe you don't realize how you are coming off here, but it's not particularly nice. If you'd bothered to click on Matt's web link in his sig line you would know that he's far from a recording noob (the green smiley at the end of his post should have been a clue). Complaining about the organization around here is like whining about a free lunch. What organization there is has been created by people volunteering their valuable time. Should we apologize for all the information that is available here?

As for your desire for a challenge, maybe you should try designing something completely from scratch. Building a pregurgitated kit with BOM, schematic, pcb, and pretty instructions isn't particulary difficult even for a large project. Many of the projects discussed here require some footwork and study on the part of the builder--even ones with readily available pcbs. And finally, complexity just does not correlate to professional quality.

A P[/quote]

Matt, you're absolutely right, your "joke" was not well received. It came across as an uninformed, smartass remark, much like the ones that flow freely on rec.audio.pro. I used to hang around that newsgroup a lot until I got sick of all the useless, off-topic insults that get thrown around by people who seem to have nothing constructive to add to the conversation. I hope this forum is different.

For the record, I'm a degreed Electrical Engineer and have made my living (among other things over the past 25 years) as a design engineer, controls engineer and test engineer for several companies employing the ISO 9000, 9001 and 9002 quality systems. I've designed more products than I can remember, including the only computerized T4 tester in the world (that I know of). I build pro audio equipment because it is an all-consuming passion. The reason I think it would be nice to have a schematic, BOM and parts layout all in one place is so I could spend more time building gear not stuck in front of a computer searching for info on it. I spend over 10 hours a day in front of computer monitors at work and when I get home I would rather spend what little free time I have doing audio work off line. Futhermore, I enjoy choosing components carefully and modifying designs that other people have done, because I know what I like and what works best in my studio, and the availability of an accurate BOM makes that easier and more efficient. But in a sense you're right, I still consider myself a noob and hope to learn from the experiences of others on this forum.

I also have a lot to contribute, as I have been designing and building pro audio equipment (many pieces from scratch, including PCBs, front panels and cases from scratch) since the early nineties. Among the little nuggets I might contribute at some point are the complete plans for a *true* 1176 Rev F clone (which btw would include not only a detailed schematic, BOM of original parts and readily available alternatives for parts that aren't being manufactured any more, circuit board foils and component layouts but also the prints I used to CNC the front panels and cut and bend the chassis), the same for a really excellent sounding LA-2A clone including circuit board layout for the audio and control amps and regulated power supply, and a lot of documentation on vintage units and parts that might clear up a lot of the misinformation that floats around here. I also have several tube preamp designs and extensive test results and suggested mods on the GSSL design, based on measurements made in my very well equipped lab and in my studio. I don't see much activity around DSP algorithms on this site although I enjoy discussing them as well.

I hope the true enthusiasts on this forum understand where I'm coming from. I'm here because I love the art, and have no interest in, nor intention of pissing anybody off, but let's keep comments that could be misconstrued as personal assaults to a minimum, okay? Thanks!!! :thumb:

BTW, thanks to radiance and andre for the links!

Hey Joe,

I never got back to this and just left it hanging...

I was just being playful from the beginning and it was all supposed to be tongue and cheek which I tried to convey with the emoticons.

I think you find this place is a lot different from most of the forums, newsgroups out there where 99% of the time we treat each other with respect and a fair share of humorous ragging.

I hope you found the project you were looking for. Looking forward to seeing your other projects in time.

Cheers

Matt

[quote author="matta"]Hey Joe,

I never got back to this and just left it hanging...

I was just being playful from the beginning and it was all supposed to be tongue and cheek which I tried to convey with the emoticons.

I think you find this place is a lot different from most of the forums, newsgroups out there where 99% of the time we treat each other with respect and a fair share of humorous ragging.

I hope you found the project you were looking for. Looking forward to seeing your other projects in time.

Cheers

Matt[/quote]

Notta problem dude. Now that I've gotten a feel for the vibe of the forums my anus has loosened up quite a bit. It's all good. :guinness: :sam:

Latest posts

Back