Gibson amplifiers (173MB worth of it)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally..... and I'm stealing this comment..... coz they didn't rock. The basics were there but the engineers got in the way.

Cant disagree more.
Gibson amps ROCK!!!!
I havr about 5 of them, and my ´59 GA-40 Les Paul amp is one nice distortion machine!!
Rule of thumb, 50´s and early 60´s are GREAT, later ones maybe not so.
And still alot cheaper than Fender!

Dennis

my falcon 19rvt is solid as hell ;]

going to get inside there and get her recapped one of these days.

i *love* that amp man.

i dont think they made as many as fender, but i'm not sure. fender definitely made TONS of stuff, speaking volume that is.

i'd love to play one of the stereo ga-79rvt's one day

went and plugged in my gibson and played a bit

got to thinking also, many of the gibsons people have played are likely older than many of the fenders out there....

fender started, under the fender name, around '47, gained more popularity once the 50's hit, and never stopped making amps. lots of newer amps, without age problems, have influenced the general opinion of fenders.

gibson made amps before fender, and for the most part, stopped making amps of any note in the early 70s (pretty sure at least on that one) up until these new goldtone amps have been coming out, which is only like 6 or 7 years old iirc.

anyway.... just saying i have a feeling there are way less out there, and most that are are older on average, and probably noisier and hummi-er.

plus they were never bought out and put into big time production like fender.

but man... i love this amp with loudness way up and tone all the way to treble... it really is a sweet sound, great high's... the highs on my blackface bassman and bandmaster sound much harsher.

but they all probably need some attention.

Back