ADR Compex - 220 to 110volt

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airtech

Anyone ever changed the voltage on one of these units? From Europe to the USA. Need to power it up, but it takes 220volt. Anyone have any experience or know how to do this? Thanks.

Nate

If I recall correctly, on my unit anyway it was simply a matter of flipping a switch from 220 to 110. I checked the internal wiring to make sure that that was all there was to it, & it was. Your unit might be different.

Yeah, I looked for a switch, but there isn't anything.

I've got the 220 version of the ADR F760-RS. On the back, it has 3 different fuses. One over the main plug insert and 2 near the xlr inputs and it says "300mA." Off the transformer, there are 6 terminals total. 2 on one side and four on the other. Primary/Seconary. The 4 terminal side has the middle 2 jumped together and the other two on the outsides are single wires, green to 1 and red/white to the other. The other side with 2 terminals, has a white and pink wire attached to each terminal. One white and pink wire per side.

Maybe I could just put in another transformer. Any idea what type I need as far as amps, etc? I've also looked for a schematic of the power supply, but nothing.

Nate

Are the 4 wires on the primary side?
Mine has a dual 115v primary(maybe not 115V, but something in that general vicinity). Anyhow, for 220v use, the primaries are wired in series; for 120V use, the primaries are wired in parallel. It's possible there's voltage info on the transfomer itself. If so, that would be good info to keep you from wiring stuff wrong.

I think they're on the secondary. I'm pretty sure that the primary side, which has 4 taps in a row, with the middle two connected together with the outer two connected by wires. I think those are the primary wires. One's green and the other is white with a red stripe. Indication of hot wire? I don't know. There aren't any numbers indicating anything about anything. Just a number on the side that looks like a model number. I'll post it later and maybe it's the same one you have and I can wire it accordingly. Thanks again.

Nate

So I've decided to get a step up unit to give me the 220 volts into the unit. Have them at my local electronics store. Some at 300watts and 500 watts. At 220volts, I think that would give between 1.5 and 2.5 amps. Will that be enough to power up the f760-rs? How much juice does it need?

It doesn't take as much as 100 Watts for sure, so the 300W unit will work, so long that it's not one of those switch-mode jobbies.

Although it's safer to try the 110V into a 220 than the other way round.

If it were me, I'd be splitting the primary link and wiring the two halves in parallel, then shoving 100V into it and seeing if that worked...

No wait... the FX760 Compex? -That unit's not worth the effort, trust me. -I'll give you fifty bucks, and it won't be in any way connected to the fact that my projects will start sounding rather better.

Yeah, give up on it. -give it to me. -Tell you what... I'll even give you a hundred bucks... -If I were you I'd take the offer, before I come to my senses... those things are worthless...

:wink: :green:

Keith

If any of the series/parallel stuff has got you baffled, this might help.
http://www.hammondmfg.com/5CHook.htm

Basically you're switching the primary wiring from the top figure on the page to the second one. Sometimes it's easier to work from a picture than from words. I suspect the diagram will make more sense to you than anything I've written.

Tom

Back