Tone generator in XLR connector schmatics?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmack

I've used the search function here and cant find anything. No luck with google either.

I need something simple and compact.
I've seen some comercially available that test for 48v and generate tone.

Seems like schematics should be out there but I cant find any.

Search for "oscillator" and "signal generator", there should be enough around (but don't expect to find a ready-to-go schematic). As a starter:
http://sound.westhost.com/project86.htm
www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=8559

Samuel

Thanks for the links. I did find similar schems in my previous search but I was hoping to find one that shows me how to neatly cram it all into an XLR connector.
I guess it is time head to the drawing board.

[quote author="bmack"] to neatly cram it all into an XLR connector. [/quote]
An alternative route to a small signal generator might be to use a small, cheap & simple MP3-player, you know, those simple ones hardly larger than an USB-stick.
Add a short cable from 3.5mm TRS to XLR-3.

Using testsignals of opposite polarity for L & R will even give you a balanced output :thumb:

And you could also use all kind of other signals & test-samples (no need for doing the "1,2,3, test" & "pfah, pfah" yourself anymore :wink: )

Just an idea.

Regards,

Peter

are you talking about something like this?
244376.jpg

or literally in an xlr connector.

i've been toying with the idea of building a signal generator. And i'd like to try something like this, but the signal gen schematic I've found (and planned on using) requires a 12v bipolar PSU - so that pretty much makes it impossible.

You'll probably need to design your own PCB. I'm thinking long, thin traces...

But by the time you've made a couple of prototypes and arrived at a final design, you will have spent way more than the retail price of one. So I'd only recommend doing it for fun...

Thanks Peter, that's not a bad idea. It is still small and gives me more options than just blasting 1KHz tone that is going to be ringing through my head. I'm still hoping to check phantom power though.

I have a Q-Box which does all of these things already but I like the idea of something I can drop in my pocket. I would like to make a few and give them to people I'm working with. This would make it easy to check the lines on a large audio set-up.

Kato, I was writing a reply as your post showed up here.
That barrel would make for more room I suppose. I'm thinking of an actual male xlr connector with an led protruding from the strain relief at the end like this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?PartNumber=245-110&raid=50&rak=245-110

I just want to send tone or some type of signal and be able to check phantom power, very basic. I just realized that this one is powered by phantom power. It saves space not having to fit the power supply inside that small connector. That will head me in a different direction when trying to figure out how to do this.

Maybe it would be cheaper to just buy one after I have done all the R&D. I was hoping there would be a cheap way to put these together so I could make a few and hand them out to people and not be too concerened if they didnt come back. [/img]

[quote author="bmack"]Thanks Peter, that's not a bad idea. It is still small and gives me more options than just blasting 1KHz tone that is going to be ringing through my head. I'm still hoping to check phantom power though.[/quote]
The beauty of the MP3-player-approach is of course that you also could load some files that give the impression the complete sound-system is about to collapse. I heard that bad idea from a live sound guy that after soundcheck couldn't always resist to urge to play a certain Barkmarket-track that featured increasing levels of distortion & compression, giving the impression that something was going very wrong with the PA.

Just a suggestion :wink:

wow! that is brilliantly small.

must be a totally different soft of design than the signal generator schematic I found - which calls for a 14-pin IC - which alone would barely fit within the XLR connector. They're probably using surface mount components - or maybe everything built onto a custom IC? I have no idea. It would be interesting to take one apart to see how it ticks...

Yeah, that is it. I couldnt figure out how to attach a photo.

I'm not looking to do multiple tones and frequency sweeps. Just one tone and an LED would be nice. I am at work right now and dont have much time to work things out but will think about it tonight. Having power from phantom simplifies things. I have to figure out how to run an oscilator powered by 48v and light an LED. And fit it in a small package.

Peter, the mp3 player with sounds to make the system sound like it is about to blow up is a pretty cruel trick. I could think of a few people I could get very stressed out very quickly by messing with this. Of course they would kill me when they find out what is going on.

[quote author="bmack"]Peter, the mp3 player with sounds to make the system sound like it is about to blow up is a pretty cruel trick. I could think of a few people I could get very stressed out very quickly by messing with this. Of course they would kill me when they find out what is going on.[/quote]
It's a sick joke indeed :wink: Up to you to decide who deserves that treatment - and how risky it would be...

Bye,

Peter

For an accurate source of Pink Noise - digitally generated and powered from Phantom:

thumbnoise.gif

More details:

http://www.orchid-electronics.co.uk

Back