JLM Baby Animal

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zul_nalury

Hi...

I want to make a preamp. My first plan is Neve 1073. Then I found JLM is selling Micro kits that make it easy & save much time... After that i found Baby Animal is more cheaper for the people with tight budget like me.Because I do renovation for my studio to become a proper build project studio.and also some equipment upgrade...

I would like to know how does baby animal sounds? Is the baby animal's circuit is based on Neve or API or what ever preamp?

thanks...

In the main Baby Animal thread - http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=15245 - a number of people have posted their observations on this project.

Generally speaking, most people have said that the Baby Animal does like, well, a Baby Animal. And there are many flavours, all of which are gooood. A couple of people have compared them to various units, so I don't think you can do better than to have a read through that thread and get what you can from it.

Cheers

[quote author="Kev"]remember that these are all DOA in the 312 style of things and in that sense the may all have the same feel
variantions in I/O trafos and DOA aside

they are not Neve1272 or 1290 ... or ALL tubed
and not like an ALL opamp
get my drift ?[/quote]

However, there are SOOOOOO many options with transformers and opamps, that to just put it ONLY in the API style category doesn't really do it justice IMO.

FWIW, I made one in the API vein, with cinemags and fabios 2520 DOA, and used it on snare in the last drum session I did.
With that, and a couple of dual 99v pre's on overheads, I nearly shat myself when I heard how good the recorded sound was. :shock: :green:

Latest posts

Back