Purple Audio Mc76 Kit Discontinued

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sintech

Real shame to see the news that the MC76 kit will be discontinued in the new year.

http://www.purpleaudio.com/Product/MC76kit.html

"THE MC76 KIT WILL BE DISCONTINUED
AS OF JANUARY 1ST, 2007
All orders received before January 1st, 2007 will be filled"

Get yours whilst you can!!

I had a feeling that this was coming. I have my own feelings as to why this has come to pass but perhaps Andrew or Ed would like to put it on record,

Ruairi

I would say it's because they are over burdened with orders and other work.
People were waiting to get the answers and goods a very long time sometimes
so this tells you all. Not that I want to criticize the Purple team but some change
was inevitable.

I got my two KITs and I am thankful for that :thumb:

Got an email from Andrew today, to let me know my kits part shipped (as I really want to get the Pcb's built over Xmas) :thumb:
I understand they are waiting on Input transformers with an ETA of "early next week"

I KNOW! I have been eyeing these for a few months but with the holidays coming and the finishing of the g1176..sigh...maybe Santa will be good and leave some spare DIY $$ in my stocking....

Cheers,
Ray

I got it fairly quick. It took about 3-4 weeks. But I know some people waited for 1 year to get what they ordered :shock:

But that is normal in this material world :green:

I am expecting the LA-2As and G9 this week. Purples should follow asap after. We had a bit of a problem finding the right colour in small quantities.
I will update my main thread in the black market as soon something comes up so I suggest you sign in to watch my topic :wink:

The cancelling of the kits had nothing to do with increased possibility of
bogus cloning ? you never know ,

but gee , gotta order & i don't have the cash , but thanks so far for a company willing to do this .

regards Greg

[quote author="okgb"]The cancelling of the kits had nothing to do with increased possibility of bogus cloning ? you never know ,

but gee , gotta order & i don't have the cash , but thanks so far for a company willing to do this .

regards Greg[/quote]

andrew is not worried about cloning or counterfeit mc77s. he has finally found an assembly house that can make the mc77 for him (again), so that i can stop making them all here. all the parts will be going directly to the assembly house, so putting kits together would be even more difficult than it is now.

the kit was not intended to be a money maker (nor has it been); andrew made the kits available because DIY was how he got started. i was one of the first people to buy a PCB from him, and that is (ultimately) how i came to work for him.

many people have waited a long time for their orders, often without communication. andrew is not always the greatest communicator.

in the case of the 1 year delay, andrew sent the order out not so long after it was placed, and it disappeared. consider what it would feel like to pull $1000 out of your own pocket to replace switches and knobs lost in the mail so that someone can make a bunch of 1176 looking compressors. so yes, it took way too long, but i don't think the customer was unhappy in the end.

as you might expect, after posting the notice on the site, andrew has received a flood of orders for all manner of mc76 parts. it may take some time, but i'm certain he will ship all the orders eventually. i'm sad to see the end of an era, but there really was no alternative. someone else may step in to fill the gap someday.

ed

Hey ed - you got any left, or has there been too many last minute orders placed?

I know it was mentioned that orders placed before Jan 1st would be OK, so if I were to order in a week or two would I be OK?

Thanks
Tom

the statement on the website holds; all orders placed before january 1st, 2007 will be filled. they may not be filled before the end of 2006, but if you order this year, you'll get what you ordered.

ALL ORDER REQUESTS SHOULD BE EMAILED TO:

purple at purpleaudio.com

DO NOT PM ME WITH ORDERS OR QUESTIONS ABOUT AVAILABILITY

Back