3D "AIR" EQ - "Night EQ" PCB's Complete!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can you maybe snap a pic of the inside?

I'm curious to see what's under the hood :razz:

that's great about the tracing... I consider it "research" and you won't be selling it so trace away!

If I had one myself, I'd be doing the same thing

The only non DIY gear I have is my digi002 and an old soundcraft board

-richie

purusha ..

sent you some stuff :razz:

can't wait to see what you come up with .. its a great project .. i just started a spin off of it tonight .. this time im using a nice old school op amp as my output stage.

-richie

I don't know what the laws are about reverse engineering stuff

The law is: If a competing business (or interested DIY'er) wants to stay competitive (or interested), it's compulsory they lift the hood on any gear that interests them.

If there is a patent or registration involved, there is likely to be a small blurb on the board or product giving a number....other than that, the board design will probably be protected.

If it were a viable product, I would have expected it to be back on the market even though the original company folded. I'd guess the market niche is too small ........

Purusha, what I sent to you is the same as what Richie has.

Guys, it would have been better to have that conversation via PM or email and not on the forum--especially not in a completely unrelated thread. (Sorry, Kevin).

A buddy brought one of these babys into my studio for a project once. What a cool piece, Found one here at ebay

http://instruments.search.ebay.com/nightpro_Musical-Instruments_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfnuZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3QQsacatZ619QQxpufuZx

I would love to build one, they are fricken awesome.

W

The EQ3d that I looked at was just band pass filters that were mixed back together giving you level control of each band. The one I had used a switching power supply, but no surface mount parts.

Sorry Dave, my PM box was filled at the time and couldn't sift through it until later.

KHstudio, I'm really interested with helping you on any level with this project.

Racking up a few channels of "air" would also serve me quite well.

What kind of eq is it? Active/passive?

-richie

[quote author="BradAvenson"]The EQ3d that I looked at was just band pass filters that were mixed back together giving you level control of each band. The one I had used a switching power supply, but no surface mount parts.[/quote]

NO SM Parts in a "D" version... must have been older. All but 4 resistors are surface mount.

I've got new footprints for 1/4 watt, although the originals are 1/8 watt.

Last night was a long one... I just hope it works

eusa_pray.gif

K

Yeah, I have tried the EQ3d version which is 1U high. The pro EQ3 version comes in 2U cases. I wonder how the EQ3 sounds.

Anyway, if we can come up with a real PCB layout for this EQ I could make a few nice cases for this DIY project as well.

There's a Grayhill 2x6 switch (P# 71BF30-01-2-06S)

It's for the high shelf selection...

I NEED to find out if it's shorting Type or not. I checked the data sheets with no luck :mad: It's veryu hard to test with a meter.

I'll be using a Lorlin instead & the board will be adapted for this.

Also, ALL the caps are BOX (white in color)
I'd like to figure out what "Type" they are - Poly, Metal Poly, Poly-Prop...?
They read 1J63 & .1J63 (63v)

I'm posting some pics soon... if anybody recognises them let me know.

K

[quote author="khstudio"]There's a Grayhill 2x6 switch (P# 71BF30-01-2-06S)

It's for the high shelf selection...

I NEED to find out if it's shorting Type or not. I checked the data sheets with no luck :mad: It's veryu hard to test with a meter.
[/quote]
I think these kind of things are always shorting, I think it's a safe bet.

[quote author="peterc"]Hi Kevin

If you need help with the PCB layout for this project, let me know, I'd be glad to help out with this.

Peter[/quote]

I put down this project for a bit so I could finish my 1272 NEVE. Now that's done I'd like to get back to it.

I have about 95% of the PCB Traced but want to go back & triple check ALL connections by eye & with a resistance meter to be certain.
Then I have to make a parts/Value list to match the PCB part numbers.

Kevin

"I'd like to figure out what "Type" they are - Poly, Metal Poly, Poly-Prop...?
They read 1J63 & .1J63 (63v) "

they looks like MKT "milfeuil" or polyester LCC .(POLYTERAPHTALATE D'ETHYLENE METALLISE)
audioforge

Latest posts

Back