3D "AIR" EQ - "Night EQ" PCB's Complete!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Peter,
that makes much more sense.

The Switchs are 2 x 6 Lorin

if you can find the picture and post it I'm sure no one will ask this question anymore

best regards

outoftune said:
outoftune said:
one last thing, anyone happen to have a scanned copy of the manual for this? i would love to have a look.

anyone?

I think the manual or some similar document was posted in one of the Night Eq threads,
it was just text you could copy and paste into word.
I can't find it right now

Anyone remembers this?

Time for another uninformed question... I've noticed that R29 and L1 are switched on the V2 silk screen, but I don't see it discussed anywhere in this thread. I've also seen them installed both ways on finished unit pics. I assume it's because it doesn't matter whether they are switched (also judging from the traces and schematic). I just want to make sure that I'm not crazy before I precede with this vaguely informed notion. Any help? Thanks.

~Matt Sommer

No , you're no crazy.

I noticed the same thing, and by the traces I also assumed that it didn't matter if they were switched.

probably the inductors are not even doing anything at all in this circuit

..I've noticed that R29 and L1 are switched on the V2 silk screen..
R29 and L1 are not switched but always connected to in-phase/hot output.

R32 and L2 are either jumpered between balanced mode or left floating/not connected in unbalanced mode and 0V instead jumpered to out-of-phase/cold output.
The other jumper (you're probably refering to) switches R47 in parallel to R26 in unbalanced mode to make up the otherwise 6dB loss.

Chimin' in...

Hello everyone. I thought it would be a very interesting project, and when I tried searching for PCBs , Peter told me the Night EQ PCB is out of production. Anyone knows why? Lack of interest? Was it illegal? Are there any gerber files available so one can etch his own? Or do I have to rediscover the whole thing if I want to build one? Maybe someone else still makes them in the forum. What happened there??

I'll try searching around a bit more, then maybe I'll do as advised by Peter and post some "wanted" ad. This is sad, nonetheless, what a pity. All this effort gone to waste and such a brilliant eq out of production  :( :( :(

Cheers

Just "for a laugh" I put the Nite EQ in a 500 series module last year;

5003d_overview.jpg

Faceplate looks like this;
http://www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/5003d_front.jpg

and I even did a transformer output option PCB;
http://www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/5003d_eq_transformer_option.jpg

It worked just fine, but slightly differently from the original in that when you boost a band it brings the "out of band" level down as well so it makes it difficult to overload (consequently the "Sub" band has the effect that the signal gets quieter when you increase the level..... because the "out of band" is basically every thing audible)...

There was one very small error on the PCB which I have now corrected.... but did not get any made.... I was thinking about getting a few boards made and then sending the gerbers to Gustav.....

... does anyone want these ?

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

For anyone who is interested..... I have done the small corrections to the PCB (although I haven't yet built one).

Here is the info;

www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/prodigy_nite500_electrical.zip
Schematic, parts list, PCB layouts, Gerbers etc.

www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/prodigy_nite500_mechanical.zip
Faceplate (simplified) and sideplate in FPD format

{The sideplate is purely cosmetic as all the pots are bracketed}

If there is enough interest I'll start stocking the pots and rotary switch etc....

I'm sure the Gustav will be more than willing to make the boards if there is interest.

The information has not been checked.... as I have not as yet built one from these gerber files.... although I presume they are correct, I have known Gerber generation errors to occur when  output from EasyPC

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Slenderchap said:
I'm sure the Gustav will be more than willing to make the boards if there is interest.

Thanks for the mail Colin.

Ill gather interest and see if its enough to do a run. Ive only been able to sell a few of the 9k 500 series boards, but perhaps people are holding out a bit because they are waiting for the 500 series frames from Volker.

Gustav

hey guys,

i'm nearing completion of this eq and using the power boards provided with the boards (from the green pre (green psu)

have searched everywhere for the schematic to this design can only find the bom.

The bom says that the 1000uf caps are rated for 10v (mouser part number points to a 10v part) - is this correct? i thought it would at least have to be higher than the voltage of the transformer taps (15v)

if not what would a good voltage rating be? i was thinking at least double would be appropropriate? (35v)

Hi,
I would like to do a version of the night EQ where instead of having separate controls for the channels, I would only have one control for each band, controlling both left and right channels at the same time.

I was thinking about Dual Gang 470K Rev Log Pots, audiomaintenance has them.

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/om-01-055_extended_info.html

Even if the "Air" control and "Vari" switchhad to be independent, it would be great to have only one control for the "Sub" , "40hz", "100hz", "650hz" and "2,5K"

Do you think it's possible ?

thanks
my best regards

Thread resurrection! ;D

I'm about to finally start building a stereo pair and I have some questions:

1) Can this thing be powered from the SSL9k PSU? (uses 7818/7819 regs)
Why is the Green PSU a better choice?

2) Due to the facts it's going to be stereo, I want to use gainswitches instead of pots. Is this possible? How should I wire them to the board?

Thanks Peter. Ok, then 9k psu it is :D Also, can I get away with 15VA transformer, or should I go for 30VA? I'll power 2 channels. I don't know how many mA each channel consumes...

I read my stuff on the gainswitches, too (should have done that before asking)...

I will use it mainly for bus eq, so I might as well use 12-position switches only, ranging from -5 to +6 dB in 1dB steps OR ranging from -7.5 to 9dB in 1.5dB steps. Should be enough for bus eq, has enough precision and it has fixed frequency/bandwidth anyway, so, I guess it will be wiser to use it for colouring rather than correction... What do you guys think? I could actually do other stuff like boost in 1.5 dB steps and cut in 1dB steps... Any thoughts on that kind of stuff from people who have actually heard this thing?

What needs to be done in the "boost only" hi-shelving band if I'm using switches? Do I just use Harpo's .xls file with the gainswitch calculator and select only boost values or what?

Latest posts

Back