3D "AIR" EQ - "Night EQ" PCB's Complete!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rellister said:
Using a mnats PSU with regulators mounted to chassis, but with mica insulators. Could the issue be here anyway?
I get continuity from regs to chassis ground, is that the issue? Still, voltages are fine at psu output.
There might be a sharp edge at the drill hole pushing thru your mica insulator on the negative rail regulator (or you also missed to use insulation washers). Regulators heatsinks are internally connected to the regulators center pin, being at neg.raw DC input voltage for the 337 and pos.regulated DC output voltage for the 317. There shouldn't be continuity but infinity resistance between chassis and both regulators heat sinks.

Harpo said:
There might be a sharp edge at the drill hole pushing thru your mica insulator on the negative rail regulator (or you also missed to use insulation washers). Regulators heatsinks are internally connected to the regulators center pin, being at neg.raw DC input voltage for the 337 and pos.regulated DC output voltage for the 317. There shouldn't be continuity but infinity resistance between chassis and both regulators heat sinks.

That´s it. A sharp edge from my drill hole was shorting the neg. regulator to chassis. Just filed the edge down a bit and problem solved. Guess one have to be more careful when insulating regs to chassis. Lesson learned!

Time for some eq´ing!

Thanks!

Check these out.

http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PPP&Product_Code=7524&Category_Code=Pot16R

Sorry I am a DIY noob and just have a few questions, if anyone can help me. I'm making my first PCB etch just for this board, and the question is, is the PCB overlay on page 41 of this thread, the PCB overlay for the etch? And if so, how does the red lines not get in the way of the regular lines? Can anyone explain this to me or how I avoid the red lines when making the etch?

Second, can someone point me to the direction for instructions on the psu??
Like a pcb overlay or a psu I can use from another project?

Any help would greatly be appreciated, I'm still teaching myself a lot of these processes.

I don't think there is the self etch artwork for this project available - someone correct me if I am wrong, I would love to make a couple of these!

The PCB overlay is looking from the top of the board (to show where all of the components go) - the grey tracks would need to be mirrored to be the right way around, and yes the red lines are in the way anyway.

If you are etching, perhaps the audioX studer eq would be a better first project, and the PCB artwork is available (called copper mirror) - http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=33996.0

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Zachery,

If you read back through the thread there is self-etch info posted, or at least there was.  It was posted on the group internet account.

I used the night eq for my first self-etch and it's a pretty simple circuit to build.  The traces are far enough apart on the circuit board that my sloppy soldering was not a problem.  :)  I found it actually easier than several other kits.  I used the ssl 9k pre power supply which works perfectly, and there is a self etch available for it on the group diy site.  It's an amazing sounding eq.

best,
Greg

Thank you guys so much for your quick replies, that what I was talking about self etch artwork just didn't know the terminology. I figured the pcb overlay was just for placement of components, thats why I wanted to ask. I'll have to look through this thread and other sites for the self etch artwork because I have read numerous times is was an easy first self etch and I've always dreamt about one of these.

Thank you very much, I've read about people using the Ssl power supply for this, and. I just wanted to clarify that before I went forward. If I find the self etch for this project I'll repost, for easier access. It seems that is the only info missing on page 41.

I've been looking like a madman and the files should be on the Gmail account, but as that one is closed it doesnt seem like the files are anywhere to be found.

Timothytitus88 said:
Fantastic!

Thanks Peter.

Time to pull out the chemicals and source the pots!

Tim
Speaking of the pots, I can't get to the page on audiomaintenece anymore.

Dave

wave said:
Timothytitus88 said:
Fantastic!

Thanks Peter.

Tim

Dave

Audiomaintenance probably run out of stock,
I contacted Colin to see if they were placing a new order to Omeg soon.

It's critical in this project that you have Center Ident pots for all the Frequencies , except the Air, otherwise you will not be able to have a zero boost in the middle and also Left and Right channels will be way off.

Whoops said:
wave said:
Timothytitus88 said:
Fantastic!

Thanks Peter.

Tim

Dave

Audiomaintenance probably run out of stock,
I contacted Colin so see if they were placing a new order to Omeg soon.

It's critical in this project that you have Center Ident pots for all the Frequencies , except the Air, otherwise you will not be able to have a zero boots in the middle and also Left and Right channels will be way off.

Thanks!

Dave

Hi guys!

This is my first eq build that I'm doing with stepped switches and I read the whole thread and didn't have a clear answer.
Can you use harpos xls sheet to calculate the air band resistors? Afterall it's the same it's the same value if you use pots?

Thanks!

Edit...Answer to my own question: Seems to be working just fine :)

Back