Pad question regarding channel inserts, line inputs, etc.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSuitcase

I am currently using a Yamaha GF16 board, which I tap at the channel inserts (by half clicking an unbalanced cable), which then goes into my MOTU 828. I've noticed that with this setup, I almost always have to engage the 26db pad on the board, in order to keep the level to the 828 from being too hot.

Looking at the manuals, I find that the channel inserts are listed as sending out 0db (775 mV nominal), but the MOTU is expecting a -10 input (312 mV, I gather.)

Now, I may be confusing unrelated issues here, but I wondering if anyone can speak to this.

Should I try building some inline pads? If I did, what resistor values would you recommend? I was thinking of an L pad, but I get confused trying to figure out the impact on the impedance, if it's relevant here.

Any help is much appreciated!

Here's a pic of the GF16 manual, too...

gf16.png

unless i'm remembering it wrong....the inputs of the 828 should be able to be switched between -10/+4 using the cuemix console application (the outputs, however are fixed at +4).

david

If you want a 14db, unbalanced, 600 ohm L pad, try the following values...

120R shunt

480R series

double those values for 1200 ohms

I'd try the latter first, breadboard, test, and most importantly... report back!

The insert wants to see ~10K, not 600 ohms. Also, you only need to attenuate 8dB to go from 0dBU to -10dBV (-8dBU).

An L-Pad made from two 6.2K resistors will get you in the ballpark. Or better yet, use a 10K pot and dial in the exact amount of attenuation you need.

OK, I finally was able to find the manual for the 828. This is an original MKI 828, so Cue Mix doesn't work with it.

In the manual, it states that the inputs are +4, and that if you're using a source that's +4, you should set the input level pot at about the 10 0'clock position. I'll have to play with this a bit more, and see if there's a sweet spot where I can get enough gain from the board to be able to monitor reasonably and not have the level blasting in Cubase.

I am still a little unsure about whether this will work, as I've tried turning down the gain before, but it wasn't working the way I expected it to. I have read that the newer 828 MKII does have switchable input levels, but I've also read that it defaults to +4 for balanced inputs, and -10 for unbalanced, which let me to think it might be the same for the MKI.

So anyway, I'll try lowering the input on the MOTU until I get a reasonable level at both ends.

Thanks for the tips, I may end up wiring up some pads, if I'm not able to get level low enough...

Latest posts

Back