Mastering EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sontec, and don't listen to anybody else! :twisted: Don't know who sells those boards though...

So that's the shit eh? You say don't listen to anyone else - what exactly are people saying?

Are there any others besides this one? I'll check Fabio's site.

Thanks,
Sig

The Sontec is the unofficial king of mastering EQ's. There are others, but boards are available for the Sontec. You're not gonna find the real opamps, but you can still build the essence of one with substitute opamps. I used JLM99V opamps in my real Sontec when my original opamps blew up.
I had to change a couple of original components to make them work correctly, but it wasn't a big deal at all.

Be sure to put in 24 position stepped switches, to make documenting a breeze instead of a nightmare. These things have a huge amount of control, and sound amazing...

Thanks for all the info. I've contacted Fabio for the boards, but his site seems to be down currently.

Is there a parts list going around for these? How much do you think these are going to set me back roughly?

Thanks,
Sig

there is a list of parts needed but there is no official BOM from any one manufacturer yet. The parts are fairly straightforward. I ordered most everything I needed in one place, mouser.com. I am using opa604 on the filter boards, fetbloke on the amp board.

Mastering EQ wow :shock: that is what I want too, he he. Addicted as I am with this DIY business I may start collecting parts for Sontec very soon and also make a beautiful batch of cases for this project real soon. Anyone else thinking like me? :grin:

Of course I am thinking like you. I want to do an original front panel, no matter what the cost is. If this is what you're offering in a chassis as well, I'm definitely interested.

Thanks,
Sig

When our passive eq kits come out, they can make excellent mastering eqs. Theyre what I use for 80% of my eq in mastering. Theyre totally different to a Sontec of course, much simpler to build though. In an ideal world youd have both...and Im workin on that :grin:

M@

[quote author="mattmoogus"]When our passive eq kits come out, they can make excellent mastering eqs. Theyre what I use for 80% of my eq in mastering. Theyre totally different to a Sontec of course, much simpler to build though. In an ideal world youd have both...and Im workin on that :grin:

M@[/quote]

Hi Matt, looking forward to this.

OT: we just emailed you about some Baby Animals, please chk, thanks

[quote author="mattmoogus"]When our passive eq kits come out, they can make excellent mastering eqs. Theyre what I use for 80% of my eq in mastering. Theyre totally different to a Sontec of course, much simpler to build though. In an ideal world youd have both...and Im workin on that :grin:

M@[/quote]

Matt...did these ever get released?

I doubt it... I emailed and asked several times about them & they're still not ready. :sad:

I'm pretty sure they're on the lines of a Pultec, probably with added frequencies.
The build looked very easy to build (everything mounted on one long, single space PCB)

I gave up & I'm just now finishing my 2nd & 3d stereo Pultecs
:green:

Latest posts

Back