beyerdynamic capsule dissected and modded *PICS*

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ioaudio

normal_ck703.jpg

ck703_dissected.jpg

ck703_dissected2.jpg

membrane Ø = 14 mm , tuned to b´´ (987 Hz)

washer (membrane to plate) 30 µm thick

backplates:

brass Ø = 13 mm
outer holes 1 mm
inner 0,7 mm

alu Ø = 13 mm
through-holes 0,6 mm

i want to make a side adressed mic with it, getting rid of the funny grille

which is´nt really open (blowing in it - not too much air gets through) though i

like the design of it

normal_grille.jpg

modded capsule:

normal_ck703_modded.jpg

i didnt do any sound testing, will let you know my findings. i expect it to

sound very different, i hope it works at all....

thanks for your worries, but: it works. and wow, it sounds much more open, the cardioid pattern is wider now (maybe because the rear tube&wire mesh is left out now).
sounds really different, much more like a large diaphragm capsule now( i also mounted it this way, side adressed).
i wonder if the sound of sdc capsules is limited because of the way its mounted (sound coming from the front) i have to try the same with a akg ck1.
this is a real unique capsule, with its backplates made from different metalls...

[quote author="cjs2k"] what camera did you use?[/quote]

Yeah - you got some nice photos there.

Looks quite smooth (dare I say analogue!) compared to the shots I take on my digital camera. Good lighting though, if a bit orange.

Roddy

[quote author="rodabod"](dare I say analogue!) compared to the shots I take on my digital camera. Good lighting though, if a bit orange.[/quote]

i think the orange touch makes it look like analogue...i didnt do any colour balance in photoshop. it´s just the outdoor settings of the white balance thing in the camera used inside - i like that. lightning is just a small lamp close to the objects plus some fill light from above.
the camera is a Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z10, strangely beeing more expensive now, i bought it for 150 euro back in 2005.
but for now, my girlfriend took it on a trip back to her family and i cannot take pics of the progress regarding the capsule / mic.
i think i´ve found my obsession, beeing completely mic addicted.
:sam: good morning :green:

[quote author="ioaudio"]
the camera is a Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z10, [/quote]

My Dad uses a DiMAGE Z3, and it's very similar. It has a "super-macro" function which has an even closer range than usual - it's even better than my Nikon which can manage 20mm!

i just realiced that that my gril forgot the camera, so i could take another picture.
i did a shootout with the two capules mounted on two identical bodies.

shootout.jpg

inside.jpg

edit:...

[quote author="ioaudio"]it works. and wow, it sounds much more open, the cardioid pattern is wider now
[/quote]
Hi IO,
Its O.K. Can be deduced via theory, Look at this picture:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o214/xvlk/goericke.gif

Rudolf Goericke (also from Wien) did the some in his microphone
AKG C1000S some years ago. He had cardioid backplate/diaphragm system and
he added resistance in front = aded partially figure eight = and get hypercardioid.

You remove front resistance from cardioid = remove figure eight partially = you get wide cardioid.

ioaudio said:
sounds really different, much more like a large diaphragm capsule now [/url]

Maybe unsufficient damping. Use thinner diaphragm with the some backplate.

Nice job :)))
xvlk

hey, thanks for your drawing! i get it.
i still need to read so much about theorie& historie of capsules. the ck703 is a quite complex capsule, as far as i can see.

but right now i find it impressive - i know the sample content is a bit strange, but can you hear what the mod does to the trebles?.

here the akg ck3 (hypercardioid)
http://www.twin-x.com/groupdiy/albums/userpics/capsel.JPG

[quote author="ioaudio"]
here the akg ck3 (hypercardioid)[/quote]
Perhaps if you remove front member, you get cardioid.
Is CK3 sintered backplate?? If it is, you get exactly Gayford´s cardioid
like I had drawed.

xvlk

Is CK3 sintered backplate??

yes, exactly.

two more pics:
http://www.twin-x.com/groupdiy/albums/userpics/normal_capsule_front.jpg

http://www.twin-x.com/groupdiy/albums/userpics/capsule_back.jpg

-max

Back