can anyone reccomend a tech?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundguy

I need to find someone to do some custom work that is reliable and can turn stuff around in a reasonable amount of time, Im way behind on some repairs and with my mix schedule through october, Im gonna have real problems if I dont send some of this sttufff out for repair.

any reccomendations?

dave

repairs of non functioning discrete circuits and some menial wiring, thats really it. I need someone who can say "I'll have this back to you in three weeks" and ACTUALLY deliver it within five weeks. I also need someone who can fix the fucking thing right the first time, not have me fixing their "repair" which I paid a fortune for. I dont mind paying someone a fortune if their work holds for 20 years, and yes, everything in my studio is old junk so I know how tempermental fixing old shit is, but Im talking Ive paid techs LOTS of money to "repair" and Ive fixed their damn "repair" not failure in a different part of the circuit as a result of the repair. Im more than happy to pay someone a fair bench rate, but I fix this stuff and know how long it takes to actually do and Ive been royally fucked in the ass by some very well respected people online, the stories I could and will not tell would have people either crying in laughter or vomiting in disgust. I would normally at least try to do most of this stuff myself but my schedule just got jammed until the new year and I really need to have this stuff not sitting on my repair bench still, waiting for me on my new years day hangover. With all the money in the world, I would buy time, just a few extra hours a day, it would make all the difference in the world.

anyway, Ive had really terrible experiences with repair guys which is really the reason why Im so behind, I insist on doing everything myself now but I just cant be that far behind when my schedule opens up. A table full of unconnected cool gear isnt much different than not having it in the first place. If anyone has somone they trust, has done them right in the past and would feel comfortable vouching for, Id really appreciate any reccomendation anyone can throw my way or if anyone here does this for a living I'd completely put you at the top of the list over any reccomendations!

thanks!

dave

We talked about this a little bit in email a while back. Didn't you mention something about some Q8 gear with no schematics--or am I thinking of an unrelated project?

Tracing out and repairing takes a lot longer than repairing with a schematic, unless you're talking something simple like a tube guitar amp. Believe me, I know. I was a bench tech for years, and I lost money or just broke even on at least as many repairs as I profited from. It's a very hard way to make a living if you're an honest man, which I fancy myself to be, and that's probably why I'm working in a different field now :cool:

You know, if Bill Whitlock ever visits again, you might wanna hit him up on those Q8 modules. He might have prints or know where to get them.

Well, since I'm still unemployed (and my latest/greatest job opportunity is starting to smell dead), I'll throw my hat into the ring. Although I'm more of a tube amp & combo organ guy... but I can do most stuff if I'm willing to eat some extra hours.

dave- unrelated stuff, Ive got schematics for all the QE gear I have. Among my pile of junk are those lomo tube EQ's and pre's, I know you want to take those on!

Kev- who is john k?

scodiddly- I'll see how this pans out, are you saying you can fix a jaguar organ? I havetwo of those broken things... Im glad I know I have a place I can get chain mail now.

dave

[quote author="soundguy"]
scodiddly- I'll see how this pans out, are you saying you can fix a jaguar organ? I havetwo of those broken things...
[/quote]
Voxes, Farfisas, Rheems... yup.

Im glad I know I have a place I can get chain mail now.

If there's anything the world needs right now, it's clothing made of little metal rings. :wink:

Latest posts

Back