rotary switch+pot assemblies?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi everybody!

Some consoles, oscilloscopes, etc... have combined rotary switches with pot shaft inside of hole of the switch shaft. Are such things made custom by manufacturers of the gear, or are available from some suppliers?

[quote author="Wavebourn"]Hi everybody!

Some consoles, oscilloscopes, etc... have combined rotary switches with pot shaft inside of hole of the switch shaft. Are such things made custom by manufacturers of the gear, or are available from some suppliers?[/quote]

In my experience these were semi-custom. A pot manufacturer would offer one or more switch options on a certain series or family of potentiometers where the switch would take the place of the last concentric pot section.

My sense is that these are less popular these days than they were, but I've been away from high volume design for over 5 years.

JR

Thank you Burdij;
it is approximately what I need; I'd like to have something for PCB mount, however couple of holes on the pannel may be more technological than combined switch with a pot if they need to be custom made. However, in case of semi-custom as John suggesting it will be the way to go, just combine a switch with a hollow shaft and a thin shaft pot.

John;
do you recognize parts used to build this assembly? I've been away from high volume design since 1981.

potswitch.gif
potswitch2.gif
potswitch3.gif

[quote author="Wavebourn"]Thank you Burdij;
it is approximately what I need; I'd like to have something for PCB mount, however couple of holes on the pannel may be more technological than combined switch with a pot if they need to be custom made. However, in case of semi-custom as John suggesting it will be the way to go, just combine a switch with a hollow shaft and a thin shaft pot.

John;
do you recognize parts used to build this assembly? I've been away from high volume design since 1981.

potswitch.gif
potswitch2.gif
potswitch3.gif
[/quote]

They look like Alps... circa '80s-'90s. But as I recall they don't like turning on the machines for less than a few k at a time...

I used plenty of the duals, just like what's hanging off the back in those pictures. The switches (?) or whatever are the blue sections in front.

Looks expensive even in quantity, but I guess that depends on volume and expectations.

JR

[quote author="JohnRoberts"]

Looks expensive even in quantity, but I guess that depends on volume and expectations.
[/quote]

I think that users of professional audio equipment are sick of recyclonomics and of cheap stuff that needs to be replaced every half a year. Vintage gear is expensive because they built it with love, for functionality in mind, not to replace by new gear with promised fixes and added unpromised bugs. I expect, the same quality new gear will be in demand, especially when new great modern devices are available in addition to developed long time ago.

Hmmm... May be we'll order couple of thounds for a forum? :cool:

Latest posts

Back